A

Anonymous

My 54 bow front has been set up close to 6 months now and everything has been cool..until now.
The other day I added a fire fish to the tank. Acclimation was a piece of cake...
However this morning I look at my royal gramma and he looks like crap. He has white smeg on his head and fins. I am assuming this may be marine ick as he seemed stressed since adding the fire fish. I would love to post a pic but he is acting unusually shy.
Can I treat this with garlic? I've heard of many fellow hobbyists doing so. If so how do I do this?
Tank inhabitants: 2 banded shrimp, snails, hermits, anenome, misc corals

Thanks,
Joe

A

Anonymous

Get some liquid garlic (Kyolic brand from GNC stores is one you can use) soak some flake food in it for a few and feed to fish. Thats the easiest way IMO. HTH

A

Anonymous

will it still be effective if added straight to the water? This guy doesnt seem interested all that much in food.

A

Anonymous

no. You need to soak the food. "It works great for me on my regal tang." Try using brine.

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woody:
no. You need to soak the food. "It works great for me on my regal tang." Try using brine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I am going to have one of these ich magnets how long does your regal recover and how much and what kind of garlic product are you using?

------------------

Dave and Ivy
http://community.webtv.net/fishaholics/SMELLSLIKEFISH

A

Anonymous

Lots of food was the answer for my tangs. I also soaked their food in garlic extract from the supermarket. I didn't want to drive all the way to the nutrition store. But it worked. Have had my Purple and Sohal for almost a year now, and going strong!

------------------
K I N G J A S O N
------------------
See my tanks at http://www.JasonIsKing.com

A

Anonymous

Here are a couple pics.. Wish they were more crisp...
ich-gramma.jpg

A

Anonymous

The pics look more like an injury than ich to me. You should see small white spots on the fish that looked like the fish was sprinkled with salt to be ich.
Terry B

jeremy1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the garlic thing works i have a angle that had major ick i am talking that he is blue and befor the garlic he was almost white. i put garlic powder in a bowl with some flakes and after the water was gone i cut it up and feed it to him. not even 1h30m past and he only had spots on his fins and now he is cured. i have been trying everything to get ride of the ick and now i have the answer thanks to this board. thanks everyone and my koran thanks you also.

Jazzcat

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ack! Glanced at my new bicolor blenny this evening, and he was covered with little white spots! Damn! Mixed some frozen brine with fresh garlic and fed him. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Ayres

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with Terry B. That definately doesn't look like ich. It looks more like an injury that has gotten fungus as a result.

-Ayres

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fish that shouldn't be treated w/ garlic? I have a clown tang and a rusty angel that have started to come down with ich and I am getting ready to treat them. I also have a pair of maroon clowns, 3 green chromis, and a yellow coris wrasse.

Also should you turn off your skimmer?

thanks

scavdog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
topic is old...gramma is healed.....I too agree it was probably an injury. He moved too fast at the time to give him a good look. I do, however, dose with garlic bi-weekly
icon_rolleyes.gif

Floridiane

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to your board. I just had to comment on the garlic treatment for ick. I had a Blue Regal Tang that had ick from head to toe. I got the Garlic gel tablets from the drug store, poked the tablet with a straight pin, and put the juice from the tablet on the food (in my case I had formula 1 and formula 2 and myasis shrimp which I alternated daily). The first time I treated him for 2 weeks every day and the ick was gone in 4 days. However, he got it back as soon as I cut back on the treatment. The second time I treated him every day for 4 weeks. This time he was ick-free and has stayed that way since. The garlic treatment does work if you can get the little guy to eat. Plus you don't have to try to get him out and treat him in a quarantine tank. Just be sure to treat him for 4 full weeks or it won't work. Hope that helps some.
icon_biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added crushed garlic from a jar and my clownfish ate it, no soaking needed. It seems to be working although slowly.

Paul.s

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is great stuff. Recently my regal tang had a really bad case of ich. I had tried a variety of other treatments (none worked) and with no quarintine (hospital) tank I almost gave up. But then I decided to try garlic, I soaked all the tangs veggies in garlic extract and soaked all the flakes, with in days I could tell the difference, And know 11 weeks later he is alive and well thanks to garlic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma came down with a mild case of ich after introducing a orange tailed damsel...prob got it from quarraling, but i had read about the garlic method and i tried it.

Well 4 days into doing it all the ich is gone...now i hope it was the garlic because if that was so we have found a cure for a terrible pest. Could also be that the fish imune system flushed the parasite out. Is there any formal documentation on the "garlic cure" ???

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: