• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

petpoor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last 2 bags of I/O I have used leave a chalky white residue in the bottom of my mixing bucket.The first bag seemed a little clumpy like it had absorbed some moisture, but the second one seemed fine.Any ideas on what the residue left is? I am wondering if it is the calcium and buffers since the last batch the ph was low about 7.9
Tom

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO has been precipitating white more than usual for me as well.. I got curious and tested the alk on the last batch, and it was 16dkh, fwiw.

tangs_in_pacifica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with Red Sea... right now. Three days mixing ~25 gallons with a Rio 3100 and Rio 2500. I have really heavy residue and still milky with the powerheads on. RO/DI water too...

petpoor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the I/O salt problem,finally broke down and spent the bucks on a box of Hawaiian Marine mix and it left absolutely zero residue in the bucket and a perfect 8.2 PH, may have to just pay a little more till I can figure out the problem with I/O salt.
Tom

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the IO (or any other brand) works, all parameters are fine, and the tank is healthy, is a little residue in the bucket a problem?
icon_confused.gif

petpoor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The residue wasn't that much a problem, but it also always had a low ph 7.9 that took lots of buffer to bring up.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you aerate or circulate your make up water while your mixing it? I use IO and have never had a problem with PH.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":26pcwtz6 said:
Do you aerate or circulate your make up water while your mixing it? I use IO and have never had a problem with PH.

I second that. I aerate my water and use a seperate powerhead for atleast 24 hours. My PH is always testing around 8.2-8.3.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I accidentally left a half full bag of IO outside overnight and the humidity got to it. After mixing 5 gallons there were brown grainy things left in the water that the filter had to take out. It looked like yeast or something.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":1i4oajyn said:

I've never had this problem either. Could it have somthing to do with mixing it with really COLD water? Just a random thought.

Also, I noticed you mentioned it was a BAG of IO. I've never used BAGS, but the BIG BUCETS with seal tight lids. Is everyone experiancing it with BAGS? Anyone with the big buckets notice it? IF this is the case it may very well be a moisture problem, as was noted earlier.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am filling my new tank as I type and I am noticing that with the bag I just dumped in that there is no real residue, but there is alot of brown foam that is accumulating where the pump is frothing the water. It is RO DI water and I tested it prior to salt and got 0 TDS. Strange I thought. But I have always used IO and have not experienced anything bad so I am staying with it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: