Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang...I'm switching over from a 55 to a 125,this weekend, and I want to make sure the 125 is level-level...not just eyeballed by the water line like the 55. (Yes, I know, that was dumb!)

This is an old house, it could be worse, but it's almost 3/8th" off in just the 22" where the tank will sit (slopes from the back of the tank to the front) and 1/4" inch over the length at about a rate of 1/8th" every three feet.

Can I just shim it? Or do I need to put a sheet of plywood underneath and shim the plywood?

The 125 won't get wet until tomorrow at the rate I'm going but I can pick up shims and/or plywood at the Home Despot up the road that's open 24 hours
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help folks!

~Alice

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem many people on these boards have had. Do a search, you will see many others have asked the same question and gotten answers.

vp39

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best way would be solid shim all the way where needed. But with most people they dont have the means to do this. You can just use the premade shims that you buy and place them about every 3 inches. this will ensure that the tank does not twist or sag in any one area.when you are done shimming then you can cut off excess with knife.
Glenn

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: