DeathWish302

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found the single thing that could make my marine reef a graveyard: a broken thermometer. It was one of those Hagen marine-safe ones, SUPPOSEDLY!!!! I made sure it wouldn't bump against the internal glass when mounting, so i'm clueless as to why it broke. I've changed the water several times now, but hings aren't looking good. I am glad it happened before i moved everything from my sump tank back into the main tank after overhauling it. Now what to do? I'm afraid to combine the "contaminated" rock with the Gulf-View i'm about to buy. Is that red stuff in the thermometer toxic??? What's the deal??? Any ideas on cleanup would be appreciated, otherwise 3 powerheads, a heater, 40 lbs of rock and misc. equipment will be trashed due to this.

Thanks in advance for replies,

DW302

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was my situation, I would keep up with the water changes, get some carbon going and call a GOOD pet store that can tell you what is in the thermometer. It seems to me that the thermometer contains alcohol and a red dye, but I'm not sure. Your equipment can be cleaned, but depending on the dilution, your LR may be toast. Depends on how big of a tank. Don't add more LR until you know. What do you mean by things aren't looking good? Have you observed anything definitely wrong?

Tremelle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call or email the thermometer manufacturer and get the info on the thermometer's contents. I would want the info from the source. JMO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DW: If it was red fluid inside the termometer (not Silver looking Murcury ) it was probably alcohol- which is water soluble. The therm probably has less than 5 mL of alcohol. I think your tank is pretty big (110?) so the ratio would be quite small. Juts keep up the water changs and lots of carbon in case it is not just alcohol.

Just my 2C
B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: