polyp

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Aquacontroller Pro. It's been quite useful so far (5 months), and Curt at Neptune has always been helpful and prompt at answering questions and troubleshooting. While the unit is quite simple to program (really, it's SIMPLE), I agree with simonh in that the Aquacontroller really isn't that powerful in terms of the scripting language provided. However, as the unit has a serial port, it can be controlled by another computer running a more sophisticated process control program. For example, it would be useful to look at derivative information, say, concerning the rate of change of a parameter or set of parameters (like velocity or acceleration of pH,ORP, temp, conductivity, DO, whatever...) and make control descisions or alert the reef keeper based on that information.

Odd Ball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some more info on the Neptune Aquacontroller II.

I've owned one now for 9 months. Bought it from Brian @ Reefers (RIP). Anyway - some comments:

1. It's a little pricy unit - to start out, then you need to add up extras like:
- probes (ORP, Temp, PH) there is a kit, but you will need to buy the ORP regardless I think.

2. If you want to connect it to your computer - you will need to buy an additional cable to regulate the voltage between the controller and your pc's mother board - It's called the Ground Isolator cable. Whatever, it's 30 - 50 bucks.

3. Software - 100 bucks. Or, you can use jaqua which is shareware. Works ok from whave I've seen so far, but I'm really intrested in neptunes software...

History:

I use mine to control:
Lights (vho, MH)
Timers for Fans
Temp (on/off heater)
Mini - wave maker (controls 2 power heads)

To be frank (don't call me surely), it's a pretty damn good unit. It can control just about anything. As someone already pointed out, it comes with simple boolean logic. So, programming it is easy.

I've had to use the support service before, so I can say Curt does a good job. I've had to send my unit back twice now due to incorrect readings of Temp, PH, and orp. They ended up replacing the pc board of the unit, and it's been ok since. My only grip here, once you get used to the system, you can't live without it. So - I sent it out fed ex over night (@ 20 bucks a pop), they did a quick repair (1 day) and I had it the next. Now - as I did this twice (40 bucks or so spent) - I felt I should have recieved a little discount on the ground isolator cable I was talking about above.

See - in order to leave the computer connected to the controller, you need this cable. However, you can dump the data out of the controller real quick (as I do now), but I still feel this is what caused my problems...

Anyway - email if you have any more questions or what me to look at something for your on my unit.

It's been pretty good so far. I can not see myself not having one on my tank. That being said, it is expensive.

Extra probes, cables, etc.

Peace out.
oddball

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strike,

Don't know anyone who actually uses the Pro, but the two additional features (I'm aware of) are 1. IO port abd 2. conductivity and O2 monitor/control. Worth it? Not for me.

Mouse,

I'm looking at the IKS description, and really don't see any great improvements over the Neptune. Certainly nothing that justifies the statement: "All those computers suck compared to the IKS aquastar." Going by description alone, the Aquacontroller actually seems to be the better unit. BTW, the longitude/latitude adjustment is a useless feature, more for human fancy then for reef health.

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddball, would you be willing to give a demo to a local guy? I have been looking at the Neptune units for months and just don't know if it is worth it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: