A

Anonymous

This fish has developed what looks like clear to milky white blisters on it's bottom two fins. Has anyone seen this on a fish before? If yes, what is it and is there a treatment?

TIA
Susan

A

Anonymous

I'll try to tackle this but really need more info.
How many blisters are there ?
Are they clear or are they white ?
Are they round or irregular shaped ?
Are they fuzzy ?
Is the fish rubbing or scratching on the rocks.
Any other symptoms ?
How's it eating ?
What are you feeding it ?
Water Params ?
How long have you had this fish ?
What type of filtration in the tank ?
I would say at the moment if you can get it to eat medicated flake ( which is doubtful ) feed it meaty foods soaked in Selco/Secon or frozen prepared herbivorous foods also soaked in Selco/Selcon.
At the moment I wouldn't hazzard to guess at its malady ( it could be multiples of things ) but keep a close eye on it and feed it healthy foods.

Regards,
David Mohr

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow im so glad that i have met someone with Henocius Dephrutes. Do you have these fish in a reef? Are they any bother to corals? and do they school well?

Im wary of the Acuminatus but the dephrutes accordong to my research so far should be reef safe. Do you recomend them?

Sorry i cant help with your problem, i would try a freshwater dip, make sure its for no longer that 5 minuits. This should sort out most parasitic and some bacterieal stuff too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David:
Will answer as many questions as I can. He's looking worse this morning.

There are quite a few blisters on the lower fins and now on this tail fins. Some are clear, some look milky white - not fuzzy though. Also, a couple of the clear blisters are about 2-3mm in size. They are round for the most part.

Fish is not rubbing or scratching and is eating brine shrimp, Spirulina enriched, mysis and flake.

Water parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites,
15 ppm nitrates, ph 8.1, salt 1.022, water temp has been fluctuating between 78 and 84 degrees as it has been very hot here.

Tank is 72g Bow. 90 lbs live rock 4-5" sand bed, AquaC Remora Pro skimmer. Wet/Dry filter for sump (all bio media has been removed) and running carbon right now.

The fish has been in the reef tank for three weeks, before that in a 29g quarantine tank for 3 weeks.

This problem first showed up about a 1 1/2 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse.
This morning it looks like it is spreading to his top fins. Only the fin tips are affected no other part of the fish.

Mouse,
Yes the fish in a reef tank - it's a small one at 2" - it's not schooling because it's the only one in there. He has not bothered the corals at all and is basically a pretty mellow little guy.

I hope I can figure out what is going on here. Going out at lunch to get some medicated food. If a freshwater dip would help I would try to get him out of the tank. It would be a real b***h though as he is still very active.

Thanks

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: slk3599 ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blisters look smooth, not like cauliflower. Does Lymphocystis spread this fast?

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you can catch him fresh water dip him. Sometimes ive heard that people run a slightly lower SG to help problem fish as it decreases the load on the fish's liver etc not having to process so much salt. This will give their immune system a well needed leg up. I might even go as low as 1.18 SG for a day or two. mind you never tried it, i have allways dipped them. Good luck, hope all goes well for the little fella.

P.S. thanks for the info!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by slk3599:

Will answer as many questions as I can. He's looking worse this morning.

There are quite a few blisters on the lower fins and now on this tail fins. Some are clear, some look milky white - not fuzzy though. Also, a couple of the clear blisters are about 2-3mm in size. They are round for the most part.

Fish is not rubbing or scratching and is eating brine shrimp, Spirulina enriched, mysis and flake.

Water parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites,
15 ppm nitrates, ph 8.1, salt 1.022, water temp has been fluctuating between 78 and 84 degrees as it has been very hot here.

Tank is 72g Bow. 90 lbs live rock 4-5" sand bed, AquaC Remora Pro skimmer. Wet/Dry filter for sump (all bio media has been removed) and running carbon right now.

The fish has been in the reef tank for three weeks, before that in a 29g quarantine tank for 3 weeks.

Well I have seen this before ( clear blisters ) but normally it's on the body of the fish not the fins. In the past sometimes I've netted the fish and actually lanced the blisters while treating with antibiotics in a quarentine tank. Other times I've just treated with medicated foods and the blisters went away on their own. If the fish is still acting and eating normally I'd stay with a healthy diet and medicated foods.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks David,
I put in some medicted pellets, he grab them, but spit them out. Started using the Zoe this morning. This doesn't seem to be bothering the fish, but it looks terrible.

john f

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Ich to me.
If you can catch ALL of the fish in the reef tank and put them in Q tank it would be best.
Then treat them in there using either copper or hyposalinity for 6 weeks.
Add no corals or inverts into the display tank during this time.

This method will only work if you can remove ALL of the fish from the reef.
This may or may not be practical.

John

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, what makes you think it is ick? I've seen ich and this doesn't look anything like it

icon_confused.gif

There is no way I can get all the fish out of the tank without absolutely taking the thing apart piece by piece. None of the other fish are affected.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John you suggested Hyposalinity as a remedy, i presume this envolves high concentrations of salt. Wont this put extra strain on the livers of the fish and reduce the effectiveness of their immune system. Or is this methodology based around making the environment unsiutable for the parisite. I have allways thought the opposite of this would yeald greater results.

john f

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity means low salt.
Terry B has been advocating this for years and meany people seem to have very good luck with it.
The biggest problem with this method is it must be done outside of the reef tank and no fish can be left in the reef or the Ich could come back.

I don't know if Susans fish has Ich without pictures. It sounded like Ich because it was getting much worse very quickly, and started on the bottom (anal?) fins.

John

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: