Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What supplemental chemicals are absolutely necessary for a reef tank? For example: calcium, carbonate raisers, phospate buffers, strontium, iodine, and kalkwasser. I don't necessarily know what all of these do. Right now, I add b-ionic calcium and the carbonate raiser (reef builder). Are all of the other things necessary if I have these?

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do anything major, I do add Zoe for the corals and on fish food. I use trace elements, etc. I think Kalwasser is for calcuim. I asked a more experienced reefer and he said it wasn't really worth it.

slash7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer will depend on many different factors such as what animals you plan to keep and how often and how much you plan to do water changes. The best thing you can do is get the necessary test kits to monitor what is going on with your water chemistry and get some idea of what, if anything, you need to add. Most likely, you will need calcium and buffer, but only testing for these will tell you. As for the other additives, regular water changes should keep most of your major and minor elements in line. Some people like to add iodine supplements, others will tell you it's a waste of time. Your test kits will tell you alot, and your animals can tell you volumes. Take it slow, observe closely and be cautious about anyones new miracle fix-all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: