gama1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a 125 gallon tank pretty soon (it will be fish only) and was wondering what kind of filtration system you guys would recommend?

revoohc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of filtration will be very dependent upon the type of fish you will keep. Also, please let us know what your setup will be (i.e. pounds of lr, sand bed, sump/sumpless, etc.) as they setup will also factor into the type of filtration recommended.

gama1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no idea as to the amount of live rock I will put in there. I do know I will be putting some in though. As for the sand bed, I think I'll make it about 5 inches deep, and the tank will not have a sump.

gr_reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am also seting up a 125 myself over the next few weeks. it will also be an agressive fish only tank. i am going with a plenum, with 125# of live sand, and about 150-175# of live rock. i am building a big HSA skimmer (dual beckett) that is my own design. this skimmer is designed for like about a 400-600 gal tank, but i want capacity. i am also going to use a refugium instead of a sump. if anyone is looking for a big powerful skimmer, let me know, as this one i have designed has great results.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of curious myself as I plan to buy a 125 gallon (72x18x22) within the next 3 months. From my research, I was planning to put in 100 lbs. of live sand and 90 lbs. of live rock and hope that my sand bed was deep enough. I am currently trying to decide on an appropriate protein skimmer and powerhead.

I wasn't planning on having a sump at this point, as I'm not quite sure I understand what the benefit is and how to integrate it with the system I will be having.

I haven't decided on livestock either, but I think I want to stock it with dwarf angelfish of different colors, critters for a cleanup crew, a cleaner shrimp, and some really exotic ugly looking fish once I find an appropriate one. But I doubt I'll get fish into the thing until next spring.

fnj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gama1: I too have a 125g tank and have a 5" sand bed. To make the 5" sand bed I used a total of about 300lbs of sand. I also have about 160lbs. of LR, I think it is a little too much rock. I will be moving about 40lbs. of it to my refugium when I reaquascape it. I don't like to big pile of rock look.

ddavis4um

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason M. You need to send me, and others, your skimmer design. I noticed on the DIY forum there is not a good skimmer design.
I have an Americal and I know I could do better. You can send me your design to [email protected], or post it on the DIY forum for everyone.
I was thinking of getting a Dremmel tool just to work with acrylic, but would that be necessary???
dpd

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: