Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping FW tanks for several years and have had great success with planted aquariums. I would now like to try a SW Reef tank. I have a 180gal tank sitting in my garage and would like to use that aquarium. Is this too big for a first reef tank? For lighting i was planning on 3 250w MH 6500k Iwasaki bulbs and 4 96w Compact Flourescent lights. I would use a mixture of actinics and 10k bulbs with the 96w PC's. I will have a sump of some kind, not yet sure what size. I have not yet deceided on a particular skimmer either. Any suggestions?
The basic plan will be a modified Berlin system with about 1 lb of LR per gal, a 3"+ live sand bed and heavy skimming. How does all of this sound? After looking at chillers, i would like to be able to avoid having to use one. Does this setup sound like it would overheat and require a chiller? If so, what can I do to lessen heat? I know i asked alot of questions (
icon_razz.gif
) but thank you in advance!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sardaukar:
<STRONG>Is this too big for a first reef tank?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, ignoring money issues, larger tanks are more forgiving to new reefers.

Excellent choice for lighting. Some will argue for 400 watt MH, but 250 will work fine IMO. I prefer VHO over PC, but that's just personal preference.

In addition to the sump you might look into a stand-alone refugium before assigning all the under-the-stand space to the sump.

<STRONG>The basic plan will be a modified Berlin system with about 1 lb of LR per gal, a 3"+ live sand bed and heavy skimming. How does all of this sound?</STRONG>

Sounds great.
For cooling the tank look into having fans installed by your sump and in the hood. I am especially fond of temperature controlled fans or having the fans on the same cycle as the MH.

Good luck! You're about to become addicted....

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation on embarking on this boat. (I am pretty sure you are aware of this oready, but the SW/Reef setup means a lot of $$$ too!
icon_biggrin.gif
). Your basic plan sounds great, LR, DSB (probably consider to increase the depth of the LS to about 4-5". Heavy skimming is the way to go. Probably a euro-reef would fit your size. Your light setup sounds sufficient even for more light demanding corals and clams. However the heat generated from that much light could be a problem if your canopy does not allow adequate ventilation. May I suggest build a canopy that could be hanged above the tank? OR, get 3x400W Ushio MH for all lighting needs? Sump-wise...I personally would like to go as big as possible. Plan ahead to decide how much of the space you need for the skimmer, return pumps, refugium...etc. and place your partitions as needed. I usually plan to have 4 sections to my sump. The first for the incoming water baffle to reduce down the bubbles and splashes, the second for the skimmer pump, the third for the refugium, and the last for other accessories and the return pumps.

Good Luck!! and Happy Reefing

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some will probally lash me for saying this....I was dicussing the large/small tank issue for beginners with my friend and he brought up this good point.
....yes changes happen faster with a small tank, but you can learn alot more with a small tank. yes also with a large tank changes happen slowly but you can not see them happening, but when they happen WHAM! whole system all out of wack. now you have 150 gal all out of wack vs 10-30 gal out of wack..........
A 30 gal would be a good starter size, but also you allways want bigger!! I know i did, It is so adictiting!(sp)

Good luck in your setup! Maybe a ETSS downdraft skimmer...Evloution 700 I believe..

HTH

McReef1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you will be off to a great start!

Since you are asking for advice, please buy a chiller! Many reefers look for excuses not to buy one because of the expense. I can almost guarantee you that you will spend 3 times as much on livestock lost because of stress from changing temperature as you will on a chiller for your 180 gal tank.

Next, I might argue that you have too much light (I know...blasphemy). Sounds like 6.4watts/gal to me. In all likelyhood you will encounter at least one serious algae bloom in the first 6 mos or year. Why not use only about 3 watts/gal until you are comfortable that your algae problems are behind you? This should also keep you from purchasing corals that require tons of light (which are often less hardy). No one in this forum would argue against taking your time with this.

Lastly, no need to add more live sand. If you have 1#LR/gal, efficient skimming, and are feeding properly (lightly), 1 and 1/2 inches is plenty. I am familiar with many large (150gal +) tanks with this setup for years without problems housing beautiful corals and fish.

Good luck!

McReef

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info so far. I do need to consider algae, especially when my tank is first up. Maybe i could use only the 4 96w PC's for the first few months? I could get a mix of 6700k bulbs and actinics. I would just hold off on the more demanding corals until i have my systems fully established and stable. I REALLY love SPS (have seen many pictures on the net) and so i will prolly need all that light.
For fish, i was thinking of a yellow tang, purple tang, a pair of clownfish, a flame angel, a fire fish or two, and maybe some kind of dottyback or wrasse. When my tank is well established ( at least 8 months( i would love to try a white cheeked tang (Acanthurus japonicus). Of course, i will have a small army of smails and other detrivours. ANyone else?

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reefs.org Sardaukar
icon_smile.gif
I kept away from the wrasses after one experience with them killing peppermint shrimp (they eat aptasia anemones *a good thing*). Have you thought about cleaner shrimp? They add alot of color and get large enough the fish don't tend to hassle them too horribly. If you get more than 3 you tend to see them more often I've read. If you like the look of alot of small fish as opposed to fewer large ones you can look into neon and clown gobies. Blue reef chromis in a school are quite stunning. You want to make sure that you don't get sifting gobies if you're going to have corals that don't tolerate sand on them.

Are you going to build a hood for the halides or hang them pendant style? It seems to make a big difference to the temperature of the tank. Its great to hear you're going to take the plunge
icon_smile.gif

Barbie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: