Stan1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO but LFS suggested I try Tropic Marin. My problem is that the box doesn't give you the formula on how much to add to the water. Can anyone help?? Thanks.

swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with 1/2 cup per gallon and see where that brings the SG. I use IO and ignore the directions. I use a lot more than they say per gallon to get my SG at 1.025. The 1/2 cup per gallon should bring you to about 1.018 to 1.020. You can go up from there a little at a time until you get to where you want. Write down how much you use and always double check it after it's mixed. Let it sit for 24 hours with a PH and heater to make sure everything is disolved before you use it.

Why are they recommending you change brands? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: swreefer ]

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing water changes (quite some times ago, anyway, that is another story), I mix salt in a 33 Gal trash can and let the pump circulate the water continuously (spelling??) Test the SG accordingly. I do not follow the instructions at all. I often find the instruction is rather in-accurate. I do the testing myself. HTH

Stan1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I thought 1/2 cup would be the place to start but wasn't sure.
As far as why switch, the store I go to uses TM in their reef tanks. Maybe not the best reason, but it worked for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: