• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Emperator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS is smoking some damn good ganja. You really do not need to have a chiller on your tank unless the ambient temperature in the room is high.

Just slap on a few more fans and you should be good to go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperator is correct, you don't necessarily need a chiller. Given your canopies 12" height and open back, a couple fans should be sufficient to dissapte the heat from the metal halide fixture.

If you do find it necessary to cool down the temperature of your tank water you can open up the top and blow fans across the water. This should cool down your water a degree or two. If you do this make sure to check your salinity from time to time because having fans blow over the top of the water will increase water evaporation.

Dawlfandav

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs told me I must have a chiller with even one 150w MH. Is this really true. I have a 55g, reef with 260w of power compacts. Half white and half actinic (two 65w sets). I just want to supplement with the MH. My canopy is open on the back and 12" high. I could always add a fan. I use a 4in fan now only when the lights are on. My tank now stays around 78-79. Thanks.

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha - I'd be suspect of any LFS that makes this claim, unless of course you're going to be setting up a tank somewhere where there is no ambient A/C.

I have a 55g with 480w total, 2 175w MH and 2 96w PC actinics and I have two fans going, and with my thermostat in my house set to 77F, I actually have to put my canopy fans on timers to avoid cooling the tank down too much!

You can see complete details, pictures and install instructions for my 55g lighting setup at
http://fishworld.com

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an early picture of my canopy/light setup.. with two icecap fans blowing IN and letting the open back be the exhaust for hot air - it works VERY well for me.

ret32m.jpg

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N chiller needed IMO. I have 3 x 400 watts and 2 140 VHOs on a 180 and my temp ranges from 80-82 without any problems. I do have 4 x 4" fans in the canopy and a fan blowing across my sump.

Barry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: