• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the recent posts about Rio failures and such. Many people talk about routine maintenance of the PH's.

So, what EXACTLY do you do when you clean them? How far down do you strip them? Do you take a brush to the innards? Do you replace parts? What about lubrication? How do you know if they require a lubricant, and, if so, which one?
icon_confused.gif

Thanks,

Ed
icon_smile.gif

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plug mine in and let them run. Nothing came in the instructions of my aquaclears saying I needed to do anything to them. One has been running for three years, and another for 2.5 years.

I am curious as to what others do also.

furyclown

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please help us. My powerheads and fluval are putting out less and less flow each week and I don't know what to do but soak the powerhead in vinegar and clean the filter media in the fluval.

Tremelle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I clean my powerheads I usually start by wiping the casing clean with a dry cloth. I then clean the impeller and the impeller housing. Then I clean out the inflow and outflow nozzles. I do all of this with warm water with nothing added.

Ayres

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning powerheads for me involves:

A) Removal of all powerheads from aquarium every 3 months.

B) Removal of impeller cover for impeller and impeller well cleaning.

C) If Powerhead is 9 months or more old and has an impeller shaft (ceramic or metal), it is replaced. Metal impeller shafts tend to get worn down over time.

D) Impellers are replaced every 12 months or earlier if needed. (Noticeable wear)

E) The impeller well and intakes/outflows are cleaned under the tap with a q-tip.

F) Any calcuim deposits which might have built up on the inside of the powerhead are scraped off.

Typically, if the powerhead is having a noticeably reduced flow, the impeller shaft is probably worn down, or there is a buildup of organic matter in the impeller well. If there is a powercut to a powerhead and it doesn't restart, chances are there is a buildup of organic matter in the impeller well. Giving the powerhead a good shake or tap will restart it, but that isn't recommended. If you notice a problem with the powerhead restarting, remove is from the tank and perform a cleaning (See above). Any organic matter or calcium deposits between the impeller and the motor will cause the impeller to not spin. They work on a magnetic field, and if the field is impeded, the powerhead won't work.

-Ayres

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that the one in my tank that has been running for three years has been running non-stop. It was turned off for my more 2.5 years ago for two hours and that was it.

Canister filters do need maintanance. That is in the instructions
icon_wink.gif
. The Fluval I had need the impeller cleaned every 6 months.

slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean all of my maxijet powerheads about once every 3 months with a white vinegar and water mixture due to the large amount of coralline algae that encrusts the whole thing including the intakes. I take them apart down to the impellar and soak it all in the vinagar/water, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse, and put back together. Recent cleaning has elicited a little rattle on startup for one powerhead with some bubbles blowing in the tank for a second. With a wavemaker this means bubbles here and there through out the day. It may be time for a new impellar on this particular powerhead. I also change the plug in configuration on my wavemaker when I clean the powerheads so the "current" in my tank changes up a bit.

Greg Hiller

Just a bum in Boston
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm usually in a bit of a rush when I'm cleaning my stuff. I usually completely disassemble the pump, powerhead, whatever, then gently lower it into a 1/4 X diluted bath of muriatic acid (this is slightly lower strength than concentrated lab grade 36% hydrochloric acid for you chemistry buffs). You can purchase this acid from the hardware store (believe it or not!). Thick gloves and goggles are in order, and best to do it outside due to the fumes. After about 10 minutes the calcium deposits are gone, and then I just rub with a sponge any protein deposits remaining.

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great input...thanks all!

I took out all of my powerheads (Maxijets) today & cleaned them out thoroughly.

It was really quite surprising how much "crud" was inside a couple of them.

I think I'll put them on an "every 3 month" schedule.

icon_biggrin.gif
Ed

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: