slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Titanium Probe with directions that tell me to attach the eyelet to a known ground. They suggest the center screw on an outlet. My outlet is not accessable to do this with (behind the tank and I can only barely get at the GFCI switch if needed). Can I attach the eyelet to any screw? Maybe the screws holding my fans into the canopy. I am totally electronically challenged. It seems that a "known ground" would be more specific than the screws that hold my fans in place. I need some help here. I don't know where to attach the eyelet. And can someone explain exactly what this probe does. I know it is important and collects stray voltage, then what?

playfair

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a "banana plug" (Radio Shack) on the end of my probe and pluged it into the 3rd prong of a grounded outlet on a plugstrip(You know, the one that looks like the mouth
icon_eek.gif
)

Do you own a voltmeter? They are pretty much required for testing stray voltage. Yor ground probe is providing a voltage reference for your tank water of ZERO volts with respect to "ground". Together with a GFI, you and your tank are electrically well protected.

drwwalker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have an old cord with the ground to it cut the cord and 3 wires will be inside use the wire from the lead and attach it to the ground wire on the old cord and and make sure you remove the positive and negitive leads.

beemert

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are plugging into a gfci and the groud probe has 3 prongs (h-n-g) then the eyelet connection is not needed. the gfci will not function if wired without a ground and the 3rd prong of the ground probe will provide the intended ground.
bruce

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: