dela

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy one of those LOA fixtures for 29 bucks at HD and I want to know if anyone has tried running different lamps on there. Or will the ballast only run the lamp that comes in the fixture?

I've heard of 65Watt lamps, but according to the lady I talked to, the box said 60 Watts.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Rob Klein

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the box that says, "60 watts of light" they are comparing it too a typical incandecent fixture. I think that'll be the 28 watt fixture.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Rob Klein ]

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

LOA makes two outdoor PC fixtures, one is 27w and the other is 65w. Actually, they make more than 2, but the other ones aren't as popular for the aquarium hobby. Make sure you check the bulb specs so you are getting the one you want.

As for running different bulbs, I don't believe you can do that. As I recall, LOA as a proprietary lamp connector that no one else uses, so you are stuck using their bulbs.

Someone mentioned different K rated bulbs from LOA might be available, but I have yet to find one. The chances are you can only run one type of bulb in the fixture, so make sure it is what you want. LOA says the 65w bulb is rated at 6500K, but I doubt it is that high. It's probably closer to 5500K, still not bad for a sump or refugium especially since they only cost $30.

Good luck,

Scott.

lakedawgs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light you want for $29 is the model 6065 'work light' (this light has a chord already attached) or model 9266 'outdoor light' (this is meant to be wired to your home so you have to add a chord, no prob)
I have one of each of these and prefer the 'work light' 6065 because it already has the chord. These lights are rated at 6500K, this is stated on there website. You cannot use any other bulb, it is a proprietory socket, looks like a big mogul screw in socket. I also use one of the 28 watt circlites I customized to use a 28 watt blue bulb.
Good luck,
lakedawgs

whirley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 9266 LOA light on my 15 gallon tank, with xenias, mushrooms, button polyps, leathers.

Had great sucess. Got too much xenias though.

whirley

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok where can i get the colored bulbs for the LOA? to use for a night light for my new tank..like red or blue..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: