• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a RO/DI unit off of ebay. The unit did not come with the best instructions though so I have a quick question for all or you that use RO/DI units. I realize the waste valve needs to stay on why the unit is in operation. What should the flow rate be though. Should it be higher or lower then the main flow, and is it normal for the unit to slow down after initial run. I started running the unit today and the water was shooting out, but I went back out to check on it and it had slown down to a trickle. I have the waste valve open to about 4 times the amount of the main flow. I just want to make sure that it is normal to waste that much water during operation. The unit is a 5 stage 75gpd unit. I think the flow should be about normal now. At the rate it was going it would have done 75g in about three hours. I just need to setup something and some place for the waste water to run. Pleas pardon my stupidity but I just want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks in advance as always.

jaydse

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be 3 to 1. 3 being waste water.
mine does 50 gallons a day sometimes i notice it running faster then i got to get towls to clean up the floor. this not the answer your looking for but i often wonder if it was worth getting a high output r/o
to get the high flow is their less media in the membrane ? if so i wasted my $ because i still get alge every day !!!!!!!
icon_mad.gif

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3:1 waste water to "good" water ratio is in the ballpark. I have a 50 gpd unit from AquaFX and that is about my ratio. My unit has a pressure guage of water going into the unit. Not enough pressure and the unit doesn't function the way it is designed. My concern is that i have my faucet turned up enought to have sufficient pressure.

Yes, those units do produce a fair amount of waste water. My waste line goes out into the garden/lawn.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: