• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Snook65

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay to plug in my grounding probe into the gcfi outlet where rest of my pumps are plugged in, or would this be more likely to cause the GCFI to "flip" by sensing a short. Also, does it matter whether the grounding probe is in my aquarium or in the sump? Thanks.
icon_biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GFCI will switch off if it detects "leakage" of current. Current leaks when a circuit is completed, either by you, when you have one hand in the aquarium and one or more feet on the ground, or by the grounding probe, if it has ANY path to the ground. Technically, the GFCI will protect you even if you don't have a grounding probe, because as soon as the current starts to go up your arm, through your heart, and down your leg, it will trip. But I prefer to let a piece of wire do this, just in case the GFCI is having a slow day. Yes, it will trip as soon as there is a ground fault. But you WANT it to trip as soon as there is a ground fault. Your fish will starve to death if you are laying on the floor in a puddle of salt water for three weeks, even if the pumps are still working. If you are worried that it might trip spontaneously, plug some of the pumps or whatever into a second circuit.

platylover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of having a grounding probe and GFCI combination is so that the GFCI will "flip" when there is current leakage.

You want the GFCI to flip when your RIO shorts out, etc.

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last part of your question, No it doesn't matter if the grounding probe in in you tank or in your sump. I have mine in the sump. IMHO is gives the tank a less cluttered look.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: