ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a long tentacle plate coral for about 3 mths and has seemed to do fine. In the last week or so it seems to be unhappy. Before it has expanded really nicely with the tentacles waving all over. I have it on a rock ledge in the tank to let it hang over. I asked the LFS if it mattered being on the rock or sand and they said either way would be fine. I have read that they like to be in the sand bed and will move it today. I have been feeding it brine and mysis directly everyday. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to help it out. There are not many articles I can find thru the search tool that talk about this subject.

ging

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly your LFS were wrong about the placement. The sharp rocks could cutaway at the delecate tissue on the underside of the coral. All other corals that can be placed on rocks have a hard underside. Plates are mucusy all over, (unless you have a strange species i havn't seen before). And secondly i wouldn't feed it so much. The other reason why it hasn,t opend so much is it could be preparing to dump its load, most likely considering the feeding.

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the plate on the bottom of the tank last night and he is now completely sunken in with no tentacles showing at all
icon_sad.gif
Have not feed him at all, and would like to know how many times I should in the future. I am at a loss as to what I can do now, all the water parameters are fine and everything else is looking great. It wasn't even a week ago that it was completely out and looking good. Please give some advice
icon_sad.gif

ging

Luis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, the last owner never fed it, it was in a bad shape when I got it, I use to feed it twice a week, now it's wonderful, it is over the sand, sometimes it looks sunken in too. this kind of coral loves good current but not too strong, sometimes the hermits molest it.... but... you know what, I think I know why yours is like that; what kind of light you have? , if it was over your rocks it was receiving more light and now maybe is not enough. they look sunken in when they don't receive good light. I hope this can help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it on the sand for a while and let it acclimate to the new environment. In my opinion these animals MUST be on the sand and be given a fair amount of space to roam.

I feed mine a whole silverside twice a week and it has been doing great. I'm not sure what the appropriate amount of food is supposed to be, I just know what works for mine.

Here's a pic of it trying to climb the glass.
http://home.eznet.net/~terry10/coral/plate_coral.jpg

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I will do so. That is a cool pic, hopefully mine will do the same one day.

ging

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: