• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my hands on a used Oceanic 110 that is whitened on the front panel and all around the top 2 inches (lime I'm guessing it was in a city with a bad water system) I have tried el-cheapo lime off and even CLR (I'm gonna rinse it out at least 10 times before I even think about filling it finally)

Any other tips???

Bob
icon_confused.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a few pumps along with a strong vinegar and water solution for 2 days. Then I would empty it and run fresh water for another two.

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great ideas!!
Any suggestion how 'strong' ie. ratio water to vinegar?? if not I will just go to Sams and get a few gallons of vinegar (5-10 ish) to make sure its strong enough, then get more if I need it!!

Bob

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
vinegar and a razor blade is what i would use as long as its glass and your blade isn't rusy you'll be fine

I concur.

Ernie

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar (100% sprayed on several times) and razor blade didn't touch it. It's not crusty at all. Its almost like its scratched, but I really don't think it is.. looks ok when wet, just not perfect..
oh well
Thanks for all your help
Bob

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vinegar and vinegar only.

Can the tank be used once it's had CLR in it?!?
icon_eek.gif

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harrison now that was good.

CLR directions say to rinse a cleaned coffee pot 4 times.. I would think that a tank could be cleaned as well with LOTS of rinsing (10X+++++++)

Bob
Anyone think it may be scratched since the razor didn't even cut it?

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium
Lime
Rust
Remover. Its in the cleaner section of most grocery stores, kinda like 'rust off' Its real nasty (per the label) but if you can use it on a coffee pot and drink the coffee after a while... it can't be all bad after rinsing..
Bob

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: