• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently bought an emerald crab 'of death' and on introduction went straight to my flowerpot coral and bit a huge bite out of it. Now on the top of the coral is an orange slimy growth. Is it healing/dying ????? its my fave coral please any advice. P.S. the emerald's numbers up as soon as i can catch him.
icon_confused.gif

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouse,

I just got rid of my emerald. He was truely a monster. Knocking over things and picking at coral.

I don't know what to tell you about the flowerpot, but I do know that they don't do well in captivity. They will do ok for a while, then for unknown reasons they start wasting away. Normally they die within 6 to 12 months time. Good luck!

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouse--the prognosis on a damaged goniopora unfortunately is not good. Gonioporas have a skin that covers the entire stony skeleton, and all polyps are interconnected. Therefore, when they are damaged, any infection that might set in will usually consume the entire coral rather quickly. There may be a dip treatment you could try, but I don't have enough experience to recommend it. (Fenner describes some of these on his site, http://www.wetwebmedia.com. I believe they involve a dip in a malachite green solution with lowered SG for 15 minutes or so, but I'm not sure if that would work in your case.)

Good luck.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys, i think the flowerpots are going to have to wait untill i get my mega system. Shame, it was such a nice one too. Still something lost, something gained. At least i know not to trust emeralds, an expensive lesson learned.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: