• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

My 4 VHO bulbs are in my oak canopy, which is only 6 inches or so in height. Will I have to ditch the whole thing to get metal halide lighting, or what?

Also, it's a 75 gallon reef. Would one 400 watt MH do the trick, or two 250's?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as cost info for the MH's...

Peace,

Chip

EnchantedSea

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 65 gal. with the same oak top. Can you have MH & Vho's. My tank is 3 feet wide but my vho's are 2 feet so that leaves me 6 inches on each end. Can I put small MH's in there? Not good at the DIY part of this hobby.
icon_eek.gif

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am in the process of making my canopy. yes you can use vho's as your actinics and the mh together

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72 gal reef. I just upgraded the lighting a couple of months ago. I'm using four 55 watt pc's and one 400 watt 10k. The canopy I built allows for the halide to be 11 inches from the surface.

You'll want the halide at least 6 to 8 inches above the surface. Depending on what you want to keep, I think the 400watt would be plenty of light. If you're going to only keep LPS and softies, I would recommend using a 250watt.

My halide is sitting perpendicular in the hood and gives off plenty of light. I keep a mixture of all corals. Soft and LPS are kept around the perimeter of the tank where there is less light. Good luck!

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chip,

BTW, 400watt MH ballasts from local electrical supply - $61
400watt 10k Ushio bulb - Champion Lighting - $110. You can get the mogal and wire for next to nothing. All my pc's came from A&H Supply as kits. Very reasonably priced.

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chip,

not sure on how you would have to re-arange stuff, but 2 250W PFO ballast cost me $334.00 from Premium Aquatics. HTH

icon_biggrin.gif

vp39

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chip,
You should get a new canopy. I build them and make sure they are 12 - 14 inches tall, when accomidating MH's. This allows for excellent lighting and also keeps down any heat transfer to tank from the bulbs. Sorry but the one you bought is a little to short.as far as one or two bulbs my choice would be 2. that way you get more even dispursement of light.

Glenn

mgamelin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is VHO/MH setup that I have just finished. It's 36" long and fits my canopy very well. the MH is About 8" above the water. The ballast box is fan cooled and the speed of the canopy fan can be controlled by the knob you see in the front. The reflector is stainless steel, single shielded cable, quick disconnect and high end mcgill rocker switches. I saved a lot of money doing it myself, plus I made a few for the guy's at the local LFS. Just an Idea.
Marc

lights.jpg

icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: