• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some LR to complement your DSB, about `1.5-2 pounds per gallon. Lots of circulation. With the skimmer going, the DSB and LR, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend a wet/dry for a reef due to the potential for nitrate build-up because of the lack of adequate denitrifying capacity.

Will you have a sump? If you have room, you might consider using part of the sump as a refugium to grow macroalgae,which will complement your other filtration.

xrenx

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, forgot to mention that i plan on having 45 or so lbs of LR. no corals at first, just FOWLR. I don't know about a sump. currently i have an eclipse 12 which i could turn into a sump, but i don't know enough about that stuff to know how to do it. is it just as simple as having 2 powerheads and some tubing? then i could keep calpera??? in there. what else would be beneficial to keep in a sump? would using a powerfilter like the emperor hurt/help anything?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a power filter, but with your DSB and LR, it will not be necessary. It can have the same effect as a wet/dry as far as lacking any appreciable denitrifying capacity, resulting in elevated nitrates.

Also, my prior post was based on the assumption that you would be doing a full reef. If you plan on doing a reef at some point, then you'll need to keep your fish load low in which case the DSB/LR should do you fine. I'm not experienced in FO tanks, however, and if your fish load is higher than you'd typically see in a reef setup, then you might need additional filtration. I'll defer to someone with more knowledge on FO systems on that one.

Joggins

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a healthy amount of LR in your system and attach a skimmer. That is all that is necessary. A wet-dry is fine, but unecessary if you have LR. LR will take care of your biological filtration, as well as eliminate a good degree of the nitrates from the wet-dry if you decide you need one. For a FOWLR it is unecessary to worry too much about nitrates, especially if there is ample LR. Just concentrate on good skimming efficiency and proper water circulation and lighting for your fish...After the tank has cycled! The simple systems such as Skim/LR work very well. I have never had need for Power filters but have run wet-dry. I now only have these simple systems that if run properly work beautifully.

Good Luck

-Stephen

xrenx

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, i just purchased my 37 gallon this weekend, and filled it 4.5 inches of southdown. it's still looking pretty milky, no worries though, hopefully it will subside soon. my question is what type of filtration do you guys recommend on a tank of this size? i plan on using a prizm skimmer. do i need a wet dry to go along with the skimmer? i was thinking i could get away with a good power filter like a marineland emperor 400. any other special needs to go along with a DSB?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: