Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Butterfly about 2 weeks ago, at fisrt it wasnt really eatting. I now have it eatting a varaity of frozen foods all soaked in selcon twice daily.

I noticed the first stop several days ago on the caudal fin. Now there are several spots 3-4 spread on different fins with one spot on the body. They are white and like bubbles almost but all white not transparent. The Butterfly is still eatting and behaiving normally. Any idea if this is Lymphocystis and if so what can I do?
icon_confused.gif

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lymphocystis, although when my purple tang had a spot on his underside, it was purple, not white.

The best treatment for lymphocystis is good nutrition, high water quality and lowered stress. If your water quality falters or your tank if overcrowded or there are other stressors, lymphocystis can be one result.

My anecdotal experience substantiates that. My old 115 gallon DAS was having some water quality problems, I suspect mostly due to insufficient skimming. Cyano started breaking out right before I tore the tank down to move it into the new 180, and the purple tang had developed a large lymphocystis lesion on its body.

As soon as I moved everything into the new tank, the lymphocystis started shrinking and now it's completely gone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like it at all.
But let's try to figure out what's going on.
What type of Butterfly ?
What size tank ?
What are the water params ?
What other tank inhabitants ?
Any aggression by other fish ?
What did you try to feed the fish before the frozen food ? Live food ?
Have you added any shrimp, crabs, etc recently ?
How are the other inhabitants ?
Any rubbing, scratching on the rock by the Butterfly. Shaking ?
Are these spots fuzzy like cotton ? Are they round or different shapes ?

Regards,
David Mohr

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gal. Copperband Butterfly, with a damsel and pair of clowns. The damsel chased the Butterfly the first day but now the Damsel never goes near the Butterfly nor is the Butterfly acting stressed. The Damsel rarely appears from the live rock. The spots appear to be like small grains of soft pretzle salt. They are shaped irregular and on the caudal fin it is like two grains attached. Any idea? Thanks For the help, Ben.

Oh yeah and yes I have also feed live black worms and live brine shrimp, and recently tried clams which I pulled the shell slightly open on,at Davids suggestion.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you're telling me and with no other symptoms and other inhabitants are fine, I would say your Butterfly has a mild outbreak of Ich though I can't rule other some other things yet. Continue to feed Selcon soaked foods but keep a sharp eye out for any other symptoms, changes in eating, spreading of spots, the spots growing in size or other inhabitants becoming spot infested.

Regards,
David Mohr

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen ick before but these spots seem too large for ick. I will try to post a picture as soon as I find a free pic host. Thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, restricted area.
Well like I said from your description of it plus the symptoms originally there are some things I can't rule out.
My statement of keeping an eye on this fish and other inhabitants now holds especially true.
That's the best I can do for now.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: