Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was reading a previous post system balances. I have a 10 gallon, just corals right now. nothing else but bristleworms, amphipods, other pods. i dont feed anything, just turn the light on with a timer. do i need to add a fish to the tank? would this help the corals? if i got a fish, i would want a really small one. does anyone know anything about the eyelash blenny (the ones from FL). Do they eat amphipods? i dont want a fish that would eat amphipods cuz i think theyre cool. thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is way too small for a Salarias fasciatus as they usually need plent of macro-algae or filamentous algae to survive.
You may be able to train them to eat Spirulina flake, Nori or other frozen preparations for herbivores.
As far as your amphipods, copepods it will not eat them directly but will stir up the sand bed and eat the algae in which your amphipods, copepods live and reproduce causing their decline.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by bmlerner:
Sorry to jump on, but this is kinda related:

Just added a bicolor blenny to my tank. I've got plenty of macros right now, but would like to train him to eat something store-bought. I've got a package of nori, I'll try him on this first. What's the best way to feed with nori? Crumbled, like flake food, or as a large piece/sheet on a clip?

One of the problems with Nori is that it tends to float. Either rubberband or clip smaller pieces of it towards the bottom of the tank.
BTW you may be able to get your Bicolor to accept Spirulina flake and other frozen preparations for herbivores.

Regards,
David Mohr

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David, is this the same fish as what is referred to as a Molly Miller, or are they all together different? If so could you tell me something about this fish?
Thanks,
Steve

bmlerner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump on, but this is kinda related:

Just added a bicolor blenny to my tank. I've got plenty of macros right now, but would like to train him to eat something store-bought. I've got a package of nori, I'll try him on this first. What's the best way to feed with nori? Crumbled, like flake food, or as a large piece/sheet on a clip?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by SPC:
Hi David, is this the same fish as what is referred to as a Molly Miller, or are they all together different? If so could you tell me something about this fish?

Hmm I guess you don't know me. :) Common names are not the way to try to ID fish and I abhor them as it leads to total confusion because anyone, individual, retailer, distributor, collector can call a fish anything they want.
To answer your question though, no the Blenny commonly called the Molly Miller is a Scartella cristata. They are of similar size and coloration and both are herbivores.
The S. cristata is more widely distributed throughout the world being found in the Eastern Atlantic, Western Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, Canary Islands, the Mediterranean, Greece, Sicily and Namibia.
BTW there are at least 2 other genus of fish called Molly Miller one is a Wrasse and the other is a Goby.

Regards,
David Mohr

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: davidmohr ]

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, thanks for the info. I too would rather not go by common names, but trying to ID these fish when all you have to go on is a common name can be very difficult at times.
Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: