grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i,
I also "inherited" last Friday 2 bubble tip anenomes. I didn't know I would be receiving
these. I wasn't planning on keeping anenomes since I am just starting out, and I am
painfully unaware of how to care for them. Neither of them look too vivacious. One is partly
open, and stable. The other was falling off of it's rock, or so I thought, but it turns out it
was moving. At first I thought it was dead. Anyway, it's firmly reattached now, but not open
at all. They are about 2" in diameter closed.

I have a pair of ocellaris clowns who have adopted a colony of toadstool leathers, but also
visit an alveopora pretty frequently. I did notice that when one of the clowns investigated
the BTA that it seemed to open just a little bit more.

Anyway, I'd really like to care for these guys. Can anyone give me the "basics" and/or a
recommendation for a good book or website about them?

Thanks so much, and wish me luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These anemones are not very difficult to keep in comparison to other anemones. You seem to be keeping corals with some success. BTAs can be kept under similar conditions as the corals you stated. But,there are some guidelines you will need to know.

1.Cover your intakes adequately. Either with a sponge,DLS,or quick filters.

2.Cover your heaters or remove them to your filter or sump.

3.I would think you have high intensity lighting. But assumming you do makes an A$$ out of you and me. They require high intensity lighting just like SPS corals. Metal halide,PCs,or VHO. They must also be fed on occasion(more feeding may be required when lower light is supplied).

4.IMO iodine/iodide is needed in small quantities for good health. Vitamins like Selcon also seem to be appreciated.

5.BTAs also like a nice overhang to hide their feet. High H2O(supersaturation) is also appreciated.

6.A distance of 6-8 inches away from other stinging inverts is also liked.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or reach me at [email protected]

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: