humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. I live by a messed-up saltwater fish store that always have dead tangs n'stuff in the tanks.
my queation is, if I see a fish thats lying on the bottom on the verge of death, and the worker says I can take it for free and take my chances, should I?
what are the chances it will pop up and live?
heres possible fish that are allways dying:
hippo tang
yellow tang
longnose butterfly
okthanks
ryan

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen fish come back from the dead. i would take what you could handel if it was in good comdition and just do what you can i would also quarentein the fish first because if you add a sick fish to yoyr tank you are only asking for broblems

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then once your done reviving their stock, napalm the shop and gouge out the owners eyes with blunt spoons. Once blinded you should have no problem in taking your time about beating him unconceous. You can then sell his vital organs for cash and donate the proceedings to a wildlife fund.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.......
icon_wink.gif

Joggins

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what you are proposing. I have a Pomacanthus imperator (Emp. Angel) in my 90
gallon that was going to be chucked by my LFS. I think the only caution advised is introducing disease to your already established and healthy fish. I have many, many tanks at my disposal, so I am very lucky. If you have a Qtank then do it!! I believe strongly in petitioning an LFS to give you sick or dying fish, if you have the room and the perfect water quality they need, as well as understand their specific requirements and are prepared to provide them... Do it if you can, because there is no better way to aquaint yourself with the many diseases out there and the many more ways to treat them. I almost never buy fish (although I bought a Pseudocheilinus hexataenia yesterday) because there are SO MANY sick fish out there that you can buy for half-price or most often for free!! A good way to learn, and one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had...My P. imperator was at death's door, and now he is MINT!

Good Luck!

-Stephen

humu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm
will putting the fish in my refugium be just as bad as my main tank? atleast if it dies the pods will eat him to the bone in no time
icon_smile.gif

YOU GUYS WILL BARF IF YOU SAW MY LFS. it smells like dead fish and it's full of dead fish. I only get fish from there if they just come in.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humu, this is what I would do, walk away and never look back. I would then get on the phone and report this store to the Humane Society or some such organization.
Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: