LINK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of Lighting setup on a 180 gal (6'x2'x2') with mostly LPS, Softies, Clams, and only a few SPS, a MH/PC combo?

If so, what combo, Wattage, and placement?

I Will be searchiing for a "Retro Fit" setup if that helps. Also, I already Own the 2x55W PC, and it currently has one 10,000k and one actinic. The 6x96W PC Retro setup was going to cost me about $450.

Part of the reason I was shying away from MH is that I understand that you really only want your MH lighting on a few hours a day, and I don't want the tank to look dim the rest of the time that the PC lighting would be on. Am I just confused on this?

I know that this post contains several questions, but I want to do this right the first time, so that I am happy with the lighting I choose. Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With SPS and clams, I'd recommend you going w/ at *least* 250 watt halides with 6500 K Iwasaki's with actinic supplementation. Clams and especially SPS need more light and I tend to want to err on the safe side w/ my lighting as lighting will either make or break your reef setup. I run my halides for 10 hrs per day and my actinic for 12 hrs per day w/ no real problems...

hth

liquid

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: LiquidShaneo ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: