hectina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with fang, or forktailed, blennies?
icon_confused.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sort of a broad question as many species of Blennies are called Fang Blennies.
I'll take an educated guess though that you're asking about Meiacanthus atrodorsalis or similar species.
If this is the guy they grow to a little over 4" and though they have poisoness fangs they are actually very timid fish.
They need a system with plenty of live rock as their normal foods are copepods and amphipods.
You can supplement their diet with brine shrimp, shreds of krill, shrimp, mussels and squid.

Regards,
David Mohr

hectina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks David,

That is the same fish I was curious about. I was worried about compatibility problems and dietary concerns, because you know everything is reef-safe at the LFS.

fishgills

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hectina:
<STRONG>Thanks fishgills,

There is a yellow forktail(fang) at my LFS. Never saw one before, or at least paid attention to it. I like it, but I really like the blue phase, the one you have better (at least from the pics at fishbase.org). Does it pick at the live rock? I don't want to many amphipod killers. I don't have any yet.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is not to intrested in my live rock, but he go's nuts when i feed him brine shrimp.
icon_wink.gif

fishgills

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hectina:
<STRONG>Does anyone have any experience with fang, or forktailed, blennies?
icon_confused.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a forktailed blennie (fang) its front part of his body is a light blue turing to yellow, his top fin is yellow, with lines above his eyes, i bought him about 3 weeks ago i payed 6.99, its a great fish keeps to himself, and gets along with his tankmates, he eats brine shrimp, iv'e found that when i feed him its best to put the shrimp near a powerhead, he go's after the fast moving food, he's a great fish.
icon_wink.gif

hectina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fishgills,

There is a yellow forktail(fang) at my LFS. Never saw one before, or at least paid attention to it. I like it, but I really like the blue phase, the one you have better (at least from the pics at fishbase.org). Does it pick at the live rock? I don't want to many amphipod killers. I don't have any yet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: