• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I think hes saying his hood is suspended all the way around. I use eggcrate. I had a Yellow Corris get out thru it, but I think its a 1 in a million thing. Plus, you can cut it to fit perfectly around your inlets and outlets and such if you have them. My hood id enclosed and I get good O2 exchange and around 1 gal a day evaporation in my 58 gallon tank, plus I see very little diff in seen light with the eggcrate off or on.
HTH

Super Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! My apologies for not reading your description more carefully (I've recently adopted the bad habit of cursory reading). With a fully suspended hood, eggcrate may be your best option. It will not stop small fish from jumping through (carpet surfing occurs quite often with eggcrate covers), but will at least minimize the possibility.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies - It looks like egg crate is my best option. I was hoping to get a fairy wrasse - but they are known to jump. We'll see.
Thanks again,
SS

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse population has dwindled over the past year as a result of suicides, intended or otherwise. As a result, I plan to add covers to my tank after I move (and no more wrasses until then). To reduce the loss on lumens reaching the water, I plan to use starphire glass.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
2 of my prized fish have jumped out of the tank recently - a swiss guard and an African flameback angel. I am heartbroken as these were beautiful and healthy fish which I have had for about 11 months. The swiss guard was startled by a visiting dog (we call him "devil dog") and the angel got startled by a sudden power outage - the lights went out suddenly without the usual dimming - he freaked! I am sure that if there had been some kind of cover on the tank they would still be swimming peacefully.

What do you use as a cover on your tank? I took the glass off when I upgraded my lights.

I have a suspended hood (2 250 MH and 2 VHO actinics) about 10 inches off the water. This has been up for about 5 months. Would egg crate help? The swiss guard could have gone through the openings, but not the angel.
Help, I don't want to loose any more fish! These have been my only fatalities since the great power failure 12 months ago.
TIA,
Sea Serpent

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate. It still allows the tank to breathe. The swiss guard would have to hit the holes just right to get out, chances are he wouldn't have made it.

Super Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggcrate would still permit the aforementioned fish from jumping through. Plus, I hate putting anything between my water and lights. I seal off the back of my canopy with nylon screen mesh.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M.E. Milz - Can you tell me more about "Starphire Glass"? How is it different, how does it cut down on lumen loss, Where can I get some? This has possibilities! Thanks for the help,
SS

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starphire glass is non-leaded, and therefore very clear (i.e., no green tint). The only tank builder that uses this type of glass is Inter-America Pet Supply in Canada (talk to Mitch). Those that have ordered these tanks have said that it is almost impossible to even tell that you are looking through the glass. Do a search on this board and you will find a number of threads about them and their tanks.

I am about to order a new 400 gallon tank that will use Starphire glass for the front, sides and all top cross-braces and perimeter braces. Once I get the tank set up and determine where the SeaSwirls will go, I will then order covers made from the same type of glass.

Good luck, Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: