Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an aptasia outbreak. one of my aptasias tripled in size in 3 days. and now im seeing baby ones across the tank. i got a peppermint shrimp today, but im wondering if those things eat bristleworms. i also have a sizable amphipod population that id like to keep. ok thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, unless the bristle worm was dead or dying as these are scavengers. As far as amphipods, yes they may consume some but not enough to put a dent in your population unless the shrimp are starving. In the wild these shrimp are of the cleaner variety, feeding on parasites on fish and also small zooplankton.
It's best to make sure your shrimp get a little bit of food also when you feed your other critters.

Regards,
David Mohr

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your responses. And David, thanks. you're always answering my questions and i appreciate it. one more thing im wondering about. i think my margarita snails laid eggs. something in my tank did but will the peppermint shrimp eat these? i suppose i should worry more about whether the bristleworms will. the eggs are right on a rock that my biggest bristleworm lives (3" long by 1/4" wide).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Mike02:
one more thing im wondering about. i think my margarita snails laid eggs. something in my tank did but will the peppermint shrimp eat these? i suppose i should worry more about whether the bristleworms will. the eggs are right on a rock that my biggest bristleworm lives (3" long by 1/4" wide).

I would be tempted to say no, as bristleworms feed mostly on necrotic tissue and detritus. However as I've stated if there is not enough food for your bristleworms and your shrimp then anything is possible and all bets are off.

Regards,
David Mohr

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So peppermint shrimp really do eat aptasia. I put this peppermint shrimp in my tank at 3pm ET and just now saw it attack my biggest aptasia. I dont know if it ate all of it because the aptasia retracted really fast but the shrimp kept picking at it for a few seconds. another one of my aptasia is missing.

Greg3333

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second fishtalk. Pepermints will consume worms. Almost all cleaner shrimps will to some degree or another.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: