naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that last comment from Chris at the end of the long Tang thread did it.
There needs to be reefers on this board who raise issues concerning the collection and keeping of certain difficult species and, the care of others.
My interest in this board was reading the excellent advice of experienced reefers and moved towards helping others.
I am going to sit back a lurk for a while. Those I may have helped please feel free to email me.
Thank you for your kind consideration
Naesco

marinelife

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that you are now lurking, hope you come back soon and answer more questions.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: marinelife ]

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel naesco, I have seen a huge shift in this boards members over the summer (schools out?). I come here to learn and discuss with conscientious hobbiest, the way things are lately I might as well spend my time at my LFS listening to that garbage. I will hang around for a short time and see if there is a shift in participation by experienced reefers, and I am sure you will be back if this occurs. I for one would like to thank you for your TRUE concern for this hobbie and marine life and trying to make a difference on this board.
Steve

StrikeThree

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you letting some Yahoo with 6 posts beat you away ? I dont think anyone is taking him seriously - he's all high and mighty + knows it all- he actually reminds me of someone else who dissapeared just before he started posting
icon_confused.gif

Coincedence, or voodoo?

Brian

scavdog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I truly agree with you. There has been a rather noticeable shift in attitudes on this board. I would have thought it was just me.

I suppose everything goes in cycles....
icon_rolleyes.gif

my reef

chris1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco,

Nah, dont do that. I will leave. You have been a contributing member here far longer than I have. As Strike Three said, I only have 6 posts here. I have been hanging out at Aqualink and Reef Central for years.

In a way, I was trying to defend the guy who started the post.

He started a thread basically saying "Check out the growth of my tang".

You come back with "Just checked your website. You have 120 gallons. Your tank is too small for this tang. Try to see if it will be OK in your 180 gallon with the other tangs. Thank you "

He didnt ask if his tank was large enough.

As for Strike Three, Who was playing high and mighty? A guy showing off his tang gets a response of "that fish shouldnt be in a tank any smaller than a 300" from naesco. Who was the high and mighty know it all? I posted the results of my experience, and some theorys about why, hoping that might help someone. How did naesco's post help anyone other than starting flamethrowing?

Peace,

c

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't say that i'm an expert but i have been around saltwater for a while (8 years) and reefs the past 4 or so years and from all the posts i have seen i too have been lurking for the most part there are post that i would like to comment on but i see what direction they are going (flaming) and stear clear so that decreases post i respond to i am here to learn and help if i can but it's not worth my time or effort to post to these kind of topics
i am available via e-mail also if anyone is interested eventually it may be that most of the post here will be nonsense if no one is willing to discuss reef topics in a sensible manner which could lead to the further decline
of the quality of post here

[email protected]

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: arnjer ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be 1 group here that takes a conservative approach, and another here that throws caution to the wind. Many others are in between. Lately the cautious and the cavalier groups have been conflicting in a less than polite manner. Perhaps it is just a phase.
But did y'all see that post about the life cycles of list-groups? It could be a battle for the future of reefs.org.
Shall we devolve into name calling, turning off the folks with working knowledge of the hobby and frightening newbies from asking questions? Or on the other hand shall we become a group of rigid naysayers who accept no new ideas? (I'm not suggesting anyone in particular belongs in either group.)
The answer must be in a courteous exchange of advice and ideas, with no blind adherance to dogma, yet a respect for those with the knowledge.
The next few months, I'm betting, will tell which way this board goes.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: moe_k ]

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one, am new to salt water. Have had fresh water for 11 years.
And if I don't know something, I try my best to research it. But that always isn't the case. I adopted a couple fish from a tank my wife started, and two condy's. Not exactly the way I wanted to start. And most people will say 'hey, that's not right'. And while in some cases I already know this. Sometimes I just don't KNOW. And I fully welcome someone calling attention to something I am doing wrong (even it is only their opinion). Of course I don't want flames, I want information, advice, experiences etc.

I know I will be posting some questions soon that will have many different opinions stated. But as long as they are offered with something resembling respect, I more then welcome them, I encourage all responses.

Just my 2¢

StrikeThree

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris:
<STRONG>naesco,

As for Strike Three, Who was playing high and mighty? A guy showing off his tang gets a response of "that fish shouldnt be in a tank any smaller than a 300" from naesco. Who was the high and mighty know it all? I posted the results of my experience, and some theorys about why, hoping that might help someone. How did naesco's post help anyone other than starting flamethrowing?

c</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris - I dont think you should go anywhere either. In fact I am in agreement with you on the tang/ tank size issue (if you'll notice I posted a couple pics of my happy hippo in my 40 gallon on that thread). You and naesco should just agree to disagree. I just dont like wading through all these posts recently where opposing extreme viewpoints lecture each other for 5-10 pages. I also apologize for calling you a yahoo + high and mighty - I dont know you well enough or have not read enough posts from you to label you as either. I just know others who have been driven away from these boards by insults and I didn't want to see it happen again, even though I dont really know naesco any better than I know you.

James - please don't do anything rash. aside from the frequent flames I think .org is an excellent resource. Plus it keeps it interesting.

Brian

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moe_k,

So you liked the piece about the lifecycle of bulletin boards? Glad to hear it. As soon as I began to read the page where that came from, I knew I had to share it with our board.

In that spirit, I second moe_k. Let's all stay and contribute what each of us can to the discussion.
icon_smile.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do name calling, and take defensives when necessary. Not until a thread a couple of weeks ago changed me. Why should I get involved in persuading people what my experiences taught me as what is good and bad? Yes, there are life at stake. But there are always those few that have problems with their tank but have been persistent and not willing to admit which side the problems lies. Those few often take extreme measures to prove to all that THEY ARE RIGHT and have not done wrong. These are usually the group of people that tells people to back off and ignores their posts.

Here is the fact, Those that do take advise, will take advise. Those that don't, Don't, and they will go about telling people that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

I like most of people on the board already have a busy life and work schedule. It is the fact that we love this hobby so much that pushes us to devote a small part of our time pitching into problem solving for all fellow reefers. If I can be of help to the best of my knowledge, I will always do. I will not disappear from this board. I am willing to share my knowledge and experiences that have accumulated over the years. It is for the answer seekers to decide if my advises are constructive and helpful. I will no longer persuade anyone to take my word for it. Nor will I get involved into another flame wars. As I said before, I have a life of my own and enough problems to deal with at my office, I am not going to waste my time on people that refuse to listen.

BTW, I changed my signature already. Hopefully, that will stay like that till the end of the years.

Jenemone

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to saltwater (tank is about six months old, and I've learned things here that books just can't teach. While I still read books, I consider them to be essentially one person's opinion, though there are exceptions.

This board is a valuable asset to someone just starting out. I can't find answers to goofy newbie questions in my books, but there are plenty of people on here who are willing to help.

I think that it is a shame that the more experienced reefers are dropping aside, but I have to agree that all the name calling and flame wars are annoying. It is getting tougher to wade through the crap to get to the real meat of a post.

Jen
icon_sad.gif

jimmy n

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know you, I don't know what you do to make a living, I don't even know what thread you are talking about that resulted in you leaving the board.

If you truly wanted to leave this board and felt that your absence would be notable, then you should have just walked away and this thread wouldn't be necessary.

Jim

Pezcado

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to post my piece of mind on this subject.

I am pretty new to this hobby and have asked quite a few questions on mostly basic issues. I have made one big error in my tank (55gal) which was the purchase of a yellow mimic tang. I had done some research on this fish before buying it (and had a very hard time finding info on this particular fish) and could have sworn that I read it would grow a max of 6 to 7 inches. Since then I learned otherwise and have since returned it to the LFS.

But, I am now very hesitant about asking any questions on this board, and I will research my question online (even if it takes forever) even though I know a quick answer will be provided here if I just ask first.
My reason for this........you figure it out. So unfortunate.

gazpep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco,

Just step back and reflect for a moment....I think we're all involved in a wonderful hobby and there are far more unknowns than there are knowns about the creatures we're attempting to keep, even though we think we've reached the pinnacle. Something amazes me almost every day I look into my tank at home. The thought that hits me is how unreal it is to have in our houses these little microcosms of a fantastic underwater world, in most cases far removed from the areas from which they are derived.

Sharing our experiences can only be a good thing, the first thing that I've learned is that there is seldom one way of approaching most aspects of reef keeping. People have success in unconventional ways and those ways sometimes gain acceptance and become the new "only" way to approach a particular aspect.... and that evolves again. Boards like this are one of the conduits for the sharing of this knowledge. I have an old marine fish book, first published in 1963. The aquarists of the time had no access to salt mixes and had to source each of the ingredients to make their own salt water. The book gives the formula. There were no test kits, no protein skimmers, no undergravel filters. Gee, the nitrogen cycle wasn't even researched let alone understood, but guess what...they actually bred Clown fish almost 40 years ago. How did you know when to change you water ?....the book advised that if it started to develop a foam on the surface or had an odour to it then you should change it.

Stay on the board, learn and pass on your knowledge.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone expect?
When the board had 100 members of course it was a better place to post. I mean you were able to know every one and it was more like a private club. Once the board reached high numbers of members the amount of negative post noticably increased. So did the positive post. With a board over 5000 members strong expect to see all kinds of stuff just learn how to use the good info and leave the rest behind. I remember James anouncing when the board hit 1000 members and 2000, as it was exciting to see the board grow. The point is with 5000+ members youll see lots of neg and pos. info. The more members the more opionions youll get just learn to take them all. We should all go by the moto "If you have nothing nice(or educational) to say say nothing at all."
HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe flaming ever accomplishes the intent of the flamer. If someone has decided to leave, go in peace. This may be one of the largest reef boards but it has a lot of growing pains to go and if anyone thinks it is going to get to be kinder and gentler, Ahhhh not likely.

I became a member of www.corvetteforum.com @ 3 years ago. We had a little over 2000 members most members of failed corvette boards. Now there are 23,700 members and this never has been a nice little fish board It is a testosterone pumping, male bonding, car fixing, love of Corvettes board. On any givin day you will find very helpful tips on restoration and in the same thread crap like"If you can't fix that you need to start driving a little girlie car like a rustang" I am not saying this is right, just you start to develope some very thick skin or you lose one of the best resource for restoring beautiful Corvettes and that would be a world I would not want to be a part of
icon_smile.gif
More people will find this board and thier will always be territory issues and feelings getting hurt. Feelings, nothing more than feelings, like the corner stones of my mind.........

There is room for all of us and if someone calls another persn a jerk, hell maybe they are being a jerk. I have been an obnoxious jerk just ask my wife, that does not keep her from loving me nor should it keep you from loving me either
icon_smile.gif
Feelings, nothing more than feelings..... If you do not like my tank that is cool. You do not like my Corvette, I will hunt you down and hurt you, sorry wrong board
icon_smile.gif

Why cant we all just get along
icon_smile.gif

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world would be a better place if people were more honest and didn't get all offended the first time someone questioned their credibility in a manner that is inconsistent with their desire to have everything spoon fed to them from a warm, fuzzy, platter.

Seriously, I think conflict is good, and unless the flaming degenerates to the point where there is no useful information being exchanged, I say let it burn. It's refreshing if you ask me, to see people who feel so strongly about an issue that they get a bit caustic in their replies. After all, we are talking about life-and-death issues, so I can understand some people taking this stuff more seriously than others.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: