• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefStar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am running Iwasaki 250W Metal Halides on my 125. I also have VHO Actinics. My question is what value do the actinics bring to the reef, or are they really for our own viewing pleasure? I am considering no longer using the actinics and just using the Metal Halide 6500K's by themselves. Any advice/experience???

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common misconception is that actinics contribute little to coral health and serve more for aesthetics. Centered around 420nm, actinics emit photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) just as metal halides do (except, of course, confined within a very narrow spectral band). I don't know of any watt-for-watt comparision between actinic and MH PAR values, but I will say with absolute confidence that actinics serve a useful purpose in photosynthesis. Take away the actinics, and you lose the PAR they used to provide.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the VHO's are very important when using Iwasaki bulbs, keeps the tank from looking like Pea Green Soup.

Your corals should do just fine without the VHO's though.

Jason

CAPT PETE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,
I run (2)250w Iwasaki bulbs on my 135 with (1)actinic white and (1)03 VHO. I like the color and everything is doing well.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run Iwasaki and VHO. To cut back on some electricity I turned off my 160w VHO tubes.

It looked ugly at first, but after a week your eyes adjust to the new color and it looks fine. You can always flip the switch to turn them back on when you have company.

RichK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 400W 6500s and 2 160W VHO actinics also. I feel the actinics do make the tank more pleasing to the eye as well. However, I use them more for the dawn/dusk effect. I doubt they provide any more useful light than that of the 3 400s. JMO.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not expert in this areana (or any for that matter), but wouldn't the added blue help our artificial light come closer to what a coral "sees" in nature in terms of spectrum. Obvisously the intensity is lower. Thoughts?

-Tom

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Leonard.

Perhaps one of the reasons why the Iwasaki was touted as being such a great bulb and having the "colouring-up" effect, is because it's yellow appearance generally makes the reef keeper buy lots of actinic. Perhaps it's the *actinic* lighting that really helps contribute to the colouring up of corals...

Just thinking out loud.

-Nathan

ReefStar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am been running the 6500k's without the Actinics for 3 days now and my eyes have already adjusted to it. I am interested to see how the corals will respond, especially my red and purple SPS. Also, does anyone know if Actinics cause nusiance algae to grow??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: