• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting a cleaner wrasse. How effective are they? At the lfs, I see them picking off other fish all the time. Are they a worthy investment?

jwtrojan44

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By in large, cleaner wrasses have a very poor survival record. Some have success with them, but more often than not, they will waste away and not accept prepared foods. I actually had one for 6 months and it was doing great. It ate everything on the menu and regularly serviced the other fish. I traded it in and don't think I'd get another. Neon gobies are great little fish that serve the same purpose, as are cleaner shrimp. The compelling argument for leaving cleaner wrasses in the ocean is that depleting wild populations of these little fish will ultimately jeopardize the well-being of the reef species who depend on them for parasite control. I'd go with the goby or shrimp. JWT

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse do not survive in our tanks. They are one of the species which should not be allowed to be imported for sale.
There will always be someone who has had success but they will be a rarity.
Cleaners should be left in the oceans IMO.

chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwtrojan44:
<STRONG>By in large, cleaner wrasses have a very poor survival record. Some have success with them, but more often than not, they will waste away and not accept prepared foods. I actually had one for 6 months and it was doing great. It ate everything on the menu and regularly serviced the other fish. I traded it in and don't think I'd get another. Neon gobies are great little fish that serve the same purpose, as are cleaner shrimp. The compelling argument for leaving cleaner wrasses in the ocean is that depleting wild populations of these little fish will ultimately jeopardize the well-being of the reef species who depend on them for parasite control. I'd go with the goby or shrimp. JWT</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So depleting wild populations of cleaner wrasse will ultimately jeopardize the well-being of the reef species who depend on them for parasite control, and gobies and shrimp eat the same parasites, but depleting wild populations of gobies and shrimp will not ultimately jeopardized the well being of reef species who depend on them.

Your argument is illogical.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: chris_h ]

BBReefkeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris-H
Depleting any species will have catastrophic consequences. However, gobies and shrimp have a very high survival rate in captivity, and the cleaner gobies are often tank raised. Therefore using an animal with a high survival rate means less animals have to to taken to replace the dead ones.
Not a perfect answer, just a better strategy.
Bryan

chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying that anyone should try to keep cleaner wrasses. I am just saying that his argument for not keeping them, and keeping shrimp or gobies is illogical.

If you keep shrimp and gobies becouse they dont die on you that is great, but dont pretend like you are doing a favor for the environment. THe ocean doesnt care if the fish dies after a short time in captivity or if it lives 10 years and then dies. If you eleminate an organism's chance of reproduction, then you have done the same thing as killing it.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who has been keeping the neon gobies successfully? I don't. Mine died after 2 months, or should I say, disappeared.

Just wondering whoever making claims that neon gobies has better survival rates, has really kept one or two on the long run?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA has them regularly captive bred, Gobiosoma species are some of the easier gobie species to breed.

Chris: I don't find fault with his argument because the impact on collection of the shrimp and gobies is minimal compared to the impact of removing cleaner wrasses. The tank raised gobies obviously have no impact.

chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MickAv8r:
<STRONG>ORA has them regularly captive bred, Gobiosoma species are some of the easier gobie species to breed.

Chris: I don't find fault with his argument because the impact on collection of the shrimp and gobies is minimal compared to the impact of removing cleaner wrasses. The tank raised gobies obviously have no impact.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
are you saying that it is easier to catch gobies and shrimp than it is to catch wrasses, so they dont do as much damage trying to catch them.

Greg Hiller

Just a bum in Boston
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
>So who has been keeping the neon gobies successfully? I don't. Mine died after 2 months, or should I say, disappeared. <

I purchase four neon gobies about 2 1/2 years ago. They paired off, and I moved the pairs to different tanks. One of the pairs died off about 1 year ago. The other is still going strong. I have seen some of their babies as well. Sometimes early in the morning the night after they hatch I will see them huddled in the corner of the tank where sunlight comes in.

Of course, I also have had a cleaner wrasse for 4 years, so who knows. If anyone is considering a cleaner wrasse please only choose the blue streak species, the other species are even more difficult to keep (from what I've heard).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: