• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

phoenix1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have success with this fish - Considering adding 1-2 to my 110 reef. I do know they require frequent feedings and that is not a problem. Any info would be great - thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you mean Pseudanthias tuka and not Pseudanthias pascalus.
Your tank size is fine.
Depending on where and how deep they were collected ( those collected at deeper depths may never adapt to our higher light reef tanks ). They tend do best in a school of 5 or 6 ( though 1 in a tank is fine and many authors suggest keeping just one ) so either purchase all females and one will become dominant and turn to a male or purchase a male and a harem of females.
They need medium to strong current and plenty of hiding space in the upper layers of your rock.
These do not usally adapt well to other foods such as flake, bits of shrimp, mussels, squid, frozen preparations, etc. ( their mouths are small and their metabolism is fast ), so they should be fed at least 3 times a day live or frozen enriched brineshrimp ( Selco/Selcon is great for this ) and frozen daphnia released into the flow.

Regards,
David Mohr

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: davidmohr ]

EEreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree totally with David. Will also add that I believe, from personal experience, these to be difficult to start the feeding response. Make darn sure they are feeding at the LFS on live brine or such and that you are prepared to keep the same available for them. My personal opinion would be to pass on these. JME.

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phoenix,
I have been having great success with all species of Anthias over the last year. My secret, Tetra Delica Brine Shrimp. This is a gel based food that these fish just cannot seem to resist. I have a colony of 5 red sea anthias in one tank and a colony of 4 square box anthias in another. These fish go right after this food after a few days and they just cannot get enough. I tried keeping anthias in the past feeding the suggestions above, but I had little success. I do give the anthias other types of food, but the Delica is the bulk of their diet. They also eat pellet food, and lots of different frozen foods. When picking out Anthias, make sure to get all females. More than one male will cause fighting. If you start with all female, you will have the most dominant fish change into a male. It is really an interesting process to watch. Good luck.

Odd Ball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it was already mentioned, feed at least
3 times a day if you can. They require
it.

Someone also mentioend Selcon. Use it. If not
I've seen anthias lose their color.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by dawgfish:
How can you determine the sex of the purple queen anthias

As I mentioned above I'm guessing ( hoping as P. pascalus while closely related to P. tuka are an extremely fragile fish ) Phoenix is asking about P. tuka and not P. pascalus ( Purple Queen Anthias ).
But to answer your question as a rule the male P. pascalus has a red patch on the back portion of its dorsal fin and females do not have a yellow stripe on their back or yellow coloring in their caudal fin, though there are color morphs which could cause confusion.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: