Jazzcat

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a flower anemone (E. Crucifer), and I was wondering if I have to feed it. I read in Practical Guide to Corals that flower anemones are not true anemones (it's a link between mushrooms and anemones), so does it have the same care requirements? Thanks.

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David is it true they will also catch and eat small fish? This is what my LFS told me.

Jerry

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that flower anemones can live long term just fine in high light environments without feeding.. that said, they do love to eat, and will definitely take larger meaty food. I have never seen one eat a fish tho.. I believe the fish would have to be on it's last fins for that.
People with low light (IE NO flour) tend not to be able to keep them alive.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is debatable but yes these and other species of the family Phymanthidae are considered true anemones. While they certainly get most of their food from the products of their zooxanthellae they will IMO benefit from supplements of Phytoplankton, etc. as in the wild they also capture planktonic matter and other small sea animals ( so no you don't have to drop a piece of shrimp, fish, squid, etc, in it ).

Regards,
David Mohr

Baalz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs says they eat fish too... Does this mean it would be bad to stick em in a tank to host clowns? or will they host clowns just fine?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Baalz:
my lfs says they eat fish too... Does this mean it would be bad to stick em in a tank to host clowns? or will they host clowns just fine?

I would disagree with your LFS, I find it highly doubtful that they will eat fish, though strange things do happen. These types of anemonies form a symbiotic relationship with Porcelin Crabs so a clown will not ( but again strange things can happen ).

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: