A

Anonymous

Yes, I did. I had a major rash, swollen with raised welts up to my forearms, and itched like a *$#@^%$#*!!!!!! It would subside, then flare up again. It was intense. I finally found some cream(I'll look for it for you)and it finally calmed down. I was left with very aged looking skin(obvious to me, but others say it's not THAT noticeable). I hasn't flared up in 5 months. The doctor's couldn't figure it out, and nothing they gave me worked.

[This message has been edited by nymph (edited 15 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I have experienced some type of skin infection on my hand once. They were small bumps, approximately 1 mm in diameter, that appeared after a weekend of extensive tank work on one of my fingers. I just washed with some anti bacterial soap and then covered them with Neosporin. It cleared up quickly. I never saw a doctor.

A

Anonymous

I believe anything that causes an irritation to your skin, like tank water, can cause a contact dematitis. This can easily become infected and irritated if not addressed as soon as possible. If you are prone to these types of rashes try to wear rubber gloves or use other devices to place/move things in your tank. I know... easier said then done.

Steve

A

Anonymous

Northemer, are you having the symptoms you stated? (swollen fingers, rash, sore joints)

If you have a swollen joint from a bacterial infection, go see your primary doctor as soon as possible. Joint infections are not something to trifle with. Untreated, they can lead to arthritis. And, any bacterial infection which leads to a rash should probably be seen by your doctor.

If you did catch something from your tank, it could be Vibrio vulnificans, which can invade through cuts.

A

Anonymous

after making cuttings in my tank and cleaning it, I too have gotten big rashes that burned, itched, and looked nasty for atleast two months. Very similar to the reaction I had to millepora.

A

Anonymous

As mentioned above you can get contact dermatitis.

Another problem that you can get is if you have a cut on your hand or arm, you can get an infection with Mycobacterium marinum. It will causes some pain and swelling, but isn't generally life-threatening (you should still see a doctor about it). The biggest problem with it is that it's in the same genus as tuberculosis. Don't panic, since you can't get TB from it. BUT, there's a good chance that if you get a TB skin test, it will come up positive, since they are closely enough related to get a cross-reaction.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Wolverine (edited 16 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

You mean Mycobacterium marinum. Mycoplasma's are a whole different bug.

A

Anonymous

Has any body gotten a bacterial infection on their hands from a reef tank? (swollen fingers, rash, sore joints)

A

Anonymous

Nope never did, however I did get stung by my anemone and got a nasty rash for a few days.

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

While I've never personally gotten anything significant, there is a significant danger from saltwater tanks. I've heard many such reports from hobbyists, and read several articles in journals like the New England Journal of Medecine.

If you have such an infection, you should see your doctor before it has a chance to really get serious.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sculpin, you're right, good pick up. That's what I get for posting on too little sleep (and forgetting my ID from way back when). I'll fix it now.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Wolverine (edited 16 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I just got over such an infection. Mine came from a coral sting on an open cut on my hand. Major swelling at area of cut as well as ichy, red bumps. Scared me to death, I went to my doctor who perscribed a bacterial cream, as well as an antibiotic. It really wasn't getting any better, in fact it was still spreading.

I read somewhere that any bug you get from your aquarium will not be able to withstand high temperatures. Makes sense considering the temperature of our tanks. I tried wearing a warm glove at night while sleeping in addition to the cream. It started to look better the very next day. Cleared up almost completely after four nights with the glove.

A

Anonymous

This is a bit disturbing, as it sounds like these things are quite common. I had a staph infection on my hand about 2 months ago and it got transferred to my 10-day-old baby and she spent christmas in the ICU and almost died. It has never even occurred to me that this might be an aquarium-related thing, but with everyone having these experiences, it does make me wonder. I thinnk the staph is always present, but I wonder if the aquarium water somehow assists its ability to become virulant? Anyway antibiotics cleared it up for both of us rather quickly, and I have had my hands in the aquarium many times since with no ill effects. I have noticed it irritates the skin if I don't wash it off right away (a problem I have not found with swimming in the ocean), and maybe scratching it leads to infection or something...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone to the doctor and I'll keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I also got a rash one day, I think it was from an anemone, but not sure. It was a rash on my forearm, small raised red bumps, lasted about a week. You guys are scaring me with this bacterial infection talk, but I've gone to using these plastic gloves that go up to my shoulder after I got this rash.

A

Anonymous

I Guess it's possible, but in 20 years of fresh and salt tanks, I have been cut, bit, stung, and scraped. Other than a few welts from a carpet anemone, nothing to speak of.
Just lucky, I guess.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

I never had any problems other than my biting my nails too short and then the water irritates them. About going to the doctor......I always hate explainingto them what happened. "uh.....one of my corals stung me" I could only imagine the look on their face. But then again, I'm sure they have heard funnier.

A

Anonymous

Hi Flounder,
Please don't let this medical discussion scare you from your reef tank. As long as you practice good hygiene, you'll be OK.
IMO the chance of a immunocompetent person getting a serious infection from their reef tank is pretty slim (a ten day old baby is not considered immunocompetent). Most of the rashes reefers get, I believe, are a form of dermatitis.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: