A

Anonymous

I have a 30 gallon long with about 30 pounds of live rock along with a bio-wheel 60. Is the 30 pounds of live rock enough for sole bio filtration? I want to remove the bio wheels. What do you think?

I also have a air driven skimmer with a reaction chamber that is 4 feet high. And this thing skims like crazy!

A

Anonymous

If the tank is established, loose it and think about adding some LS

HTH

Old Guy

A

Anonymous

That skimmer sounds huge for that small of a tank. If you have much of a flow rate at all through that skimmer I doubt the organics are around long enough to be effected by the bio-wheel. Remove it but keep the activated carbon.

------------------
Bruce Davidson
Louisville, KY
><((((º>..><((((º>

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys.

I'm got the skimmer from Ron's Saltwater Heaven in Williamsport, PA. This skimmer works great and it's big enough to be used on a larger tank that I plan to get in the spring. I use an empty Ehiem canister filter to drive it.

I do have a little LS. I added 2 pounds of live sand to my Aragamax for a total depth of around 1nch or so. I like keeping the sand bed shallow. It's very easy to keep clean without the need for hermits or snails.

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's plenty of rock to warrant the removal of the bio-wheel.

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

You have heaps of rock in there, not that much is required to give enough surface area for the bacteria to live on. I don't personally worry about enough rock being in the tank, I actualy worry about too much being in there, filling the tank up too much and lossing space. People tend to put too much in, rather than not enough.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: