A

Anonymous

I have a 55 gal that I set up two weeks ago. It has a protein skimmer, wet/dry filter, and an actinic and corallife daylight lighting system.

I would like to begin a reef tank but I am afraid to start. The articles seem to be over my head (and I am not stupid) and the advice of aquarium store employees seems to be contradictory.

Could anyone please help me get started with some of the following issues?

How much live rock is really necessary? It is very expensive. Can you add the biological elements in other ways? I am making my own live rock, but I have to wait for it to cure. Can I start with a smaller amount and add more later?

What do you do to start growing corals?

I appreciate any help. I am excited about doing this but it seems hard to get started.

Zeph

A

Anonymous

It's not going to be less confusing here, as everyone has their own opinions and methods of running a reef. And everyone thinks their method is the best.. I'll give you my 'recipe' simply, if you want more detail, or different opinions, just do a search for each topic mentioned, these things have been gone over and over on the board!
Set up tank, and filter, do plumbing, and fill with fresh water. Runn filter and chech for leaks/problems.
Add salt, run filters to circulate, check salinity after a day or 2, adjust if necessary, also add heater, and begin dialing in correct temp.(will take a day or so)
Get lights working, after a week add live rock. Keep filtering, keep lights on, start testing for nitrates (I don't think testing for Ammonia, nitrites is necessary) Just be aware..Ammonia goes up first, then down, nitrites are next, overlapping some, then nitrates. Just watch for the spike in nitrates, and wait for it to go down. This depends a lot on the quality of your live rock, or how much it's been cured. Mine only took a few days. If the wate takes on a bad, fishy smell, you may want to do a couple water changes every 3-4 days, and this will take longer , as there is a lot of die-off in your rock.
Next add live sand, detrivore kit, snails, maybe some hermits. Keep an eye on nitrates. If they do not go up, you can add some hardy coral or fish. If they rise, wait till they go to almost zero again.
You can add your man-made rock any time after live stuff is cured, just be sure it's stabilized, maybe do the last week's cure with water from a water change from the tank, justy check Ph before adding it to tank.

A

Anonymous

FLASH is right in saying that you will get many opinions here, but they will generally be the same, and will probably be different than that of your LFS (Local Fish Store). In fact, I would recommend that you do not talk to them anymore, especially if their opinions differ quite a bit from what you get here.

I'll go ahead and answer your specific questions and if you have any more just create separate posts for them. I or someone else will answer them. It's just easier when they are separate.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
How much live rock is really necessary?

I think we all agree that 1-2 lbs per gallon is necessary.

It is very expensive. Can you add the biological elements in other ways?

Yes it is expensive, but there are different ways in which you can add it, and you can also usually get some pretty good deals on the net. Here's some options for you:

1) Get all live rock at about 3.00 per pound.
2) Get base rock ('dead' live rock) at $1-2 per pound and get the rest as live rock.
3) Get mostly base rock and just a couple of live rocks and wait (for about a year) while the live rock slowly makes the other rock live.
4) Don't get live or base rock, but just normal 'rocks' in your tank. I don't recommend this since you want a reef.

I am making my own live rock, but I have to wait for it to cure. Can I start with a smaller amount and add more later?

Yep, no problem there. The key is to go *slow*, though, when you add more later. There will have been some die-off on the new rock and it will create a large ammonia spike if you add it all too quickly.

What do you do to start growing corals?

Well, obviously, you aren't ready to start doing this just yet, but basically, if you have a stable tank with good enough lighting all you have to do is buy the corals and put them in your tank where they'll be most happy. Eventually, they will begin to grow. Of course, 'stable' and 'good enough lighting' need to be defined, but you will eventually learn what this means, by reading, reading, and reading.

Cheers,
smile.gif

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: