• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefRian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into getting a pH probe to monitor my pH levels and was wondering if any of you have recommendations and why as what to get. Am I going to have to spend $200 or more to get a very reliable one?Thanks in advance to all of you who can help.

Java

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to have a Calcium reactor or just only to monitor your ph level ?....my suggestion, if you're not using that for calcium reactor, just stay with old fashion...save the money for something else, unless you're getting the complete system ie: Naptune controller.
just my 0.2

Dune.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the pinpoint. It's great to continuosly know what your ph is at different hours of the day rather than snapshots in time. It will also let you know if there's a bit of uneaten food or dead fish somewhere when the ph drops.

ReefRian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone... I checked out the Pinpoint pH probe and I'm sold! ...that is unless someone has a better recommendation. Does the pinpoint probe require recalibration very often (like every time you use it or once a month or so?)? I've never had a pH probe before, but I'm tired of using the drops (especially when checking more than one tank). They sound pretty straightforward, but I'd just like to make sure it won't add to my headaches.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. You calibrate it when you buy it and then every few months (I think) I've only had mine two months and it still reads perfectly. Don't buy the AC adaptor as it apparently gives false readings. Just buy a 9V battery and it will last a long time. I haven't changed mine yet. It's very portable and can easily go from tank to tank. alright I'm sounding like a salesman...

Bodine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my pinpoint monthly..the probe should be replaced every year to 18 months...there seems to be some claims of false readings with the AC adapter(stray voltage) but I use it and have never had a problem...

DK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote pinpoint. I have used them for years. I agree with the 18 months to 2 years life expectancy on the probe. I have also used the AC adapter for at least 5 years and am unaware of any inconstancy in the readings.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my pinpoint when it is time to change the battery, which happens every 3 months or so (I leave it on all the time).

REEFDAZE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Pin Point myself no probs with the adapter. You can buy better probes that fit the unit which are shielded to combat stray leccy, and might be a little more reliable/accurate, never really liked the PP probe, My next probe will be one made by I K S which has the same BNC fitting, as used by a friend and proving to be a quality item, hope this helps regards Darryl. 8)

Gatortailale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEFDAZE":359220zz said:
My next probe will be one made by I K S which has the same BNC fitting, as used by a friend and proving to be a quality item, hope this helps regards Darryl. 8)

Where on the web can I find this I K S probe?

Thx.
C

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: