• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ebosshard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for something for a 72inch long, 30 inch deep
Guessing I need at least 750w's, if not 1000w's

Can someone point me in the right direction of an online supplier of these, as well as what brands to pursue, avoid?

Thanks!!

Hal1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people will suggest 1 light for every 2 feet of length of the tank. Thus a 72 inch tank uses 3 MH's. For a 30 inch tank, even with a DSB of 4-6 inches, you'll probably want either 250W or 400W, depending on what corals you want to keep. I've got a 30 inch tall tank, and chose 250W because of heat and elec costs.

You need to decide what color temp (degrees Kelvin) you want before we can recommend a manufacturer.

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 220 gal reef tank I would go with 3 400w metal halides supplemented with VHOs or pcs. This would also depend on what you are keeping. If you are planning on keeping sps and clams thats what I would go with. The other decision you need to think about is the kelvin rating on the bulbs. Some like 6500ks, some 10ks and some 20ks. I prefer 10ks or 20k radiums. The radiums are very bue.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gallon tank. I just fitted it with 3 400watt USHIO 10,000k. I have 4 55watt PC's for actinic but they are not cutting it. I plan on replacing these with two icecap 660 ballasts and running 6-8 VHO actinic tubes.
If you go with 400 watt metal halides I think that you can keep just about anything in the tank that you would want. I have a Crocea in the near bottom of the tank and he is doing fine for about 1 1/2 months.
You will not be able, as far as i know, to find a dealer that sells prefitted 400watt halides in a hood. You will have to build your own, most likely.
SEARCH all the for sale areas in the forums and EBAY you should be able to find all the equipment you need
HTH
JJ

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2 250W 20K's on my 150, Ya its 6ft long but I can keep some of the lower light corals in the center of the tank. The 20k's are a real nice blue and I dont supplement with my 03 actinins anymore.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that would be the smart way to go.

I'd go with 3 250W HQI's at 20K. XM HQI's aren't as blue as Radiums, so you might consider those. Than, you don't need actinics and another ballast. Plus, you get the same output as 400W moguls using a lot less electricity.

IME, the coral growth is the same compared to 6500K or 10K, but the color is the big difference.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the higher Kelvin seems to run cooler. I have 0 temperature swings since switching over to 20K.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my system custom-made at www.petsupplyliquidator.com. I didn't want a hanging pendant (actually, wifey wouldn't let me drill holes) or a canopy (because of heat concerns), so they built me a hood that can sit on top of the tank.

I'm pretty sure they can custom-build what you need. I've been happy with the system. My estimate is they're a step above Hamilton and a step below Giesemann.

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefnutz Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that would be the smart way to go.

I'd go with 3 250W HQI's at 20K. XM HQI's aren't as blue as Radiums, so you might consider those. Than, you don't need actinics and another ballast. Plus, you get the same output as 400W moguls using a lot less electricity.

IME, the coral growth is the same compared to 6500K or 10K, but the color is the big difference.

Reefnutz, please correct me if I am wrong but arent 400w 20k radiums HQIs, they run off a HQI ballast. I run mine off a dual PFO HQI ballast. I think I get much more out of my 400 radiums than you get out of 250 watt xm 20ks. In my opinion I would go with 400s on a 220 gal inless you want to do it twice.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The comparison I made was between the 250W HQI (double-end) and a 400W mogul (single-end) which will have roughly the same output. I should have been more clear on the bulb type. I was just assuming people would think HQI is a double-ended bulb.

A mogul bulb will put out a tiny bit more than normal when used with an HQI ballast.

1937 Waco

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I have the same tank as you have. Mine is a fish only tank right now. Corals to be added later. My lights are Ice Cap 660W with two Actinic Blues VHO. I am using a 175w 5.5K MH as this completes the light spectrum (three are needed for a tank of this length). I think one of the places to buy equipment is at Champion Lights. I have bought stuff from Premuim Aquatics, but I think that they got the stuff from Champion lights. You will save money, buying the sockets and stuff yourself and custom making a canopy to suit you home and aquarium. Be sure to buy extra VHO's as they should be replaced about once every 6-8 months and the package is expensive. I think that you can get about 6 VHO in one package.

All people agree that you will need the Actinics and generally them come on an hour before the MH. Where the discussion goes astray is on the MH. The more wattage, the deeper the tank. I do not feel that if you have a shallow tank, that you need a light to go twice as deep. You have a deep tank. The best thing to do is make sure that you have the full light spectrum as, frankly, this is what the sun is producing. If you call Champion lighting, they can answer all your questions to suit your needs.

I hope this helps out. Bob

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, what do you consider a deep tank. A 220 is a deep tank to me. If you are planning on keeping sps and clams you would want to go with 400s on that tank or at the very least 250s. Yes 250 and 400 watt bulbs penetrate much deeper than a 175 watt, but they are also a lot more intense than a 175 watt bulb. In most cases on a 220 gal tank you will not be able to keep corals with intense lighting demands under 175 watt bulbs. I have 175s over a 150 with 4 96 watt pcs and would not put sps or clams in it. If I were to do it all over again I would have bought 250s for that tank. I run 400s on my 90 gal and this allows me to place corals near the bottom of the tank to.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree. 175W couldn't really cut it for SPS, even under shallow vats. They might survive, but they won't look very nice. Especially at that Kelvin rating.

Should be fine for softies, though.

1937 Waco

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All:
I was trying to keep with the general theme of where to get the lights.

Yes 220 is a deep tank.

Yes it depends on what is in the tank also as to the kind of lights to most suit the livestock and of course how deep in the tank things are.

But we are getting into another topic....

I can recommend Champion Lights, or maybe the new sponsor, Hello Lights as a place to buy equipment. Like I said, I bought most of my parts (fixtures) from Priemum Aquatics and built my lighting hood to suit my current needs. If my tanks takes a different direction from the current fish only setup, I will rethink my lighting and more.

As far as the type of light brands, I don't have any recommendation. I know that I read an article on that subject recently, but don't know the URL. You might want to give Champion a call as they have helped thousands with their tanks.

Bob.

ebosshard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a good deal with pet supply liquidators
Remember, my tank is 72" long, 30" deep (220g)

72" long

3x400 10k MH's (actually gonna put a 20k radium in the center and with a 10k on the ends)
4x96 power compact actinics
moonlight led's
2 4 1/2inch fans
1 year warranty on the whole thing
5 year warranty on the ballast

$850 delivered

Am i making a mistake here? Any questions I should be asking?

Will also contact champion to see what they would do (since there appear to be a bunch of fans for them here)

Thanks for feedback on this (and guidance to this point)

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can knock off a few more dollars and forget about the fans. The ones they supply are really noisy. Use that money to get some IceCaps. Other than that, I think it's a super deal. In terms of lighting, they've got a great reputation according to their ebay rating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: