• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of inverts are you concerned with? If small shrimps and crabs are not a concern, then there are many, MANY reef safe wrasses. If these small crustaceans are important, then your choices are fewer, but still considerable. Too many to name still.
I had a maorii wrasse in my tank until very recently. Not reef safe by some standards, but I didn't have small shrimp and such.

Jim

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to stick with some of the smaller wrasses like in the genus Pseudocheilinus, Paracheilinus, or Cirrhilabrus for example. The large ones can really make a mess in a reef when trying to find a place to sleep in the substrate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wetmorella and Halichoeres are also reefsafe along with the ones reefnutz mentioned. Bodianus bimaculatus stays small too. Except for Paracheilinus, all of them will pick at shrimp if it's small enough. Keep a covered top!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the larger wrasses do not sleep in the substrate. You'll have to research that one though, as I can't remember off the top of my head all of the ones that fit into that category. Maorii wrasses, hogfish and tuskfish do not sleep in the sand...

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepord wrasse are gorgeous-they sleep in the sand but they shouldnt bother your inverts too much (there are always xceptions). If you can find one and give it proper nutrition then your golden. :D

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to keep wrasses, make sure the top of your tank is covered. Most are prolific jumpers. Oh, and I agree with reefnutz and matt's recommendations and am particularly fond of Cirrhilabrus.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately keep a covered top if you get one. I just lost my fairy wrasse due to his projectile ability to get between all of my plumbing and light fixtures. Unfortunately it had good aim with its jumping abilities. :cry:

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":35whvryu said:
B, go with a Paracheilinus filamentosus. :wink:

That is, if you're still looking for a wrasse! :P

Beautiful fish!!!

It would be funny if B was still mulling over this decision after nearly 2 years.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":3ecwthwe said:
I was considering a Lunar

I can't believe I didn't mention at the time how terrible a candidate this fish is for a reef tank, along with all Thalassoma wrasses. Adults will attack any new fish smaller than them, eat ones that are small enough to bash against the rock into little pieces, will kill small clams, any shrimp, snails, knock over corals in search of food, and generally terrorize the tank. In addition, they get very big and need a ton of swimming space.

Having said that they make great additions to a large FO with, say, large angels, triggers, puffers, groupers, eels, and the like. They are extremely hardy, don't require a sand bed, and will eat just about anything offered. Plus they're all really cool looking as adults.

B351EE1509754573A3AC0F6E0ACD388DO.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the colors of a lunare wrasse, and have a sandbed, perhaps you may want to try a Halichoeres ornatissimus.

They have similar coloring and are much more peacefull, but may take out wee little snails (If you have strombus snails) or small ornamental shrimp. A very nice fish. Will not harm your corals and I never had mine bother your typical snails like turbos or astreas.

I will never have a lunare wrasse again. I tried to add one to a fish only tank and he intimidated my dog faced puffer (who was 4 times the size of the wrasse) into jumping out of the tank. :( They are big bullies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: