• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the MCE600 hang-on skimmer. I've heard it's virtually dead quiet and does not put bubbles back into the tank. Can anyone who has used it confirm or deny this? Thanks.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has one running on a small hex tank and his doesn't appear to be putting any bubbles into the display. Doesn't seem loud when you're standing next to it, but then again there's lots of other louder stuff running in there, so tough to say... :wink:

I'm sure Greg can comment further.

Setting up another tank already Len? :)

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len,

I love the Deltec MCE600 HOB skimmer. I've been using it for a year now with ZERO maintenance except cleaning the collection cup. It's VERY quiet and I get NO bubbles back into the aquarium. You will get air bubbles initially, but they dissipate after a few days. The splash guard also helps to reduce air bubbles.

I also like the fact that it doesn't intrude into the aquarium like every other HOB skimmer. I previously used the AquaC Remora Pro skimmer and it was okay but there's a lot of hardware hanging in the tank, especially if you use the bubble guard. Additionally, the Deltec has enough room inside the skimmer box to stick a bag of carbon or PO4-removing compound as well as a small heater.

Greg

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi John, did you give it time to break in? I wonder if something was defective on your unit :cry:

Thanks Greg. I've heard the same thing. The only problem people report is it can overflow if something unusual happens, but then again, any HOB can.

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1wgxued3 said:
Thanks Greg. I've heard the same thing. The only problem people report is it can overflow if something unusual happens, but then again, any HOB can.

I can't think of any way that it might overflow. The water spills back to the tank by gravity and the return opening is 1 1/2". Furthermore, the return opening is above the water line, so it's not possible for anything to crawl into it or block it in any fashion. I've started and stopped it countless times and there has never been an indication that it might overflow. In fact, even the collection cup has an overflow protection built into it.

Greg

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you know, I just reread users' comments and they seem to be referring to the skimmer overflowing back into the tank (I think). In any case, I'm sure it's not a real concern. People seem to find ways to gripe about anything ;)

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":29m56i26 said:
Ah, you know, I just reread users' comments and they seem to be referring to the skimmer overflowing back into the tank (I think). In any case, I'm sure it's not a real concern. People seem to find ways to gripe about anything ;)

They might be referring to the collection cup. It has built-in overflow "protection." If the skimmer should go crazy, the collection cup will ultimately overflow back into the skimmer and re-circulate the water. I find it useful but some may object to the possibility that skimmate may re-enter the tank. This feature can be bypassed, but I would not recommend it.

Greg

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anyone have a picture of a tank using this skimmer? I'd like to see how much real estate it takes up inside the tank, and behind. Thanks!

::edit:: nevermind. i just found Greg's review in advanced aquarist. :oops:

ujohnk

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I had the skimmer running for 4 months then give up on it.
In the Uk they now have sound dampening kits to go with the mce600 skimmer to try to quieten it down. Also people are doing mods to the outlet to try to stop the micro bubbles.

John

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ujohnk,

Are you sure you're using the same skimmer that I am? "Dampening kits" and "micro bubbles"?? I know a LFS that sells one of these skimmers a week and they've never heard of these complaints. I have my MCE600 for a year and I have not experienced a single problem. The Aquabee pump is the only moving part and it's completely submerged and enclosed in the skimmer box. What can possibly generate noise? I'd describe mine as silent. Perhaps you had a defective pump?

As for micro-bubbles, they will appear for a short time while the skimmer breaks in and sheds it plasticizers. The air bubbles disappear in a few days. The instructions describe this process.

There are a few pictures of my aquarium showing the MCE600 in operation in my article. I challenge anyone to find "micro-bubbles."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/8/review/view?searchterm=deltec

Greg

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the interesting fact I've garnered: UK and European hobbyists hate the Aquabee 2000 pump. US hobbyists love it. I wonder .... could the voltage have anything to do with it? It seems far fetched, but I can't seem to figure out why there is such a stark difference of opinion about the (supposedly) same pump.

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1tcfx62m said:
Here's the interesting fact I've garnered: UK and European hobbyists hate the Aquabee 2000 pump. US hobbyists love it. I wonder .... could the voltage have anything to do with it? It seems far fetched, but I can't seem to figure out why there is such a stark difference of opinion about the (supposedly) same pump.

I can't say. In addition to the MCE600, I have the Aquabee on my Deltec 600S CA reactor. It's been running non-stop for 2 years without service. I've had nothing but positive experiences with these pumps.

Greg

N Awe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand Deltec has a reputation as one of the best skimmers, but wow do they cost a lot. What justifies the cost? Are they that much better?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to justify cost for other people, but I chose the Deltec because I found it the best designed recirculating needle wheel on the market. It's more compact then the American counterparts and uses the Eheim pump which I like. To be honest, I think many cheaper skimmers can come awefully close to the performance. There are simply a lot of good skimmers on the market these days. I chose the Deltec based on its features.

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one of these. I should be receiving it sometime next week or so, and will post pics and experiences. It'll be replacing my aquac remora skimmer w/ prefilter on my 30cube, as I'm trying to cut down on the amount of clutter inside the tank. I'm also hoping it'll cut down on microbubbles I've been having...

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This skimmer is very attractive to me because, like many of you, I use the Remora with the giant surface skimmer box inside the tank. My question is, does the surface skimming really make that big of a difference? The deltec, from the pictures I've seen, doesnt use a surface skimming feature, which cuts down on the in-tank footprint, but does that lower its effectiveness? Or is the whole surface skimming thing just a lot of hype? Thanks for the help.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the surface skimming can only help, and in tanks with no overflow will prevent the surface slick.

My old Turboflotor came with the Aquabee 2000 and it made some really nice fine microbubbles of very uniform size.

I notice with my sedra 5000 I get multiple sized bubbles not all are as fine as others.

JME

Hyolee

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that the US aquabee has higher output than its european counterpart due to voltage differences. I think they said it was 10-15% on that other forum.

I'm loving my AP600. My tank is crystal clear and looks sweet with the open top. If you have good surface agitation and good flow 30x+, I wouldn't worry about the lack of surface skimming.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: