• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Anyone have one of these? Are they any good?

Peace,

Chip

minisea

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one on my 40 gallon Ocenic stretch Hex for a week and I am very pleased.

Starts up quickly. Fans are quiet, incorporated moon lights are nice touch.

pjf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What troubles me is that the Sunpod instruction pamphlet (http://www.current-usa.com/PDF/SunPodModel1061-1066.pdf) states:

"The light fixture is to be used over completely covered aquariums only."

Under this statement is an illustration of an aquarium with "Glass or acrylic top installed."

If the Sunpod requires a closed aquarium top, it may be more difficult to prevent overheating. Most reef keepers have open top aquariums to prevent overheating.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt have a problem as long as you have some sort of circulation.

try a clip-on fan on the back of the aquarim blowing up on the fixture to keep it cooler.

B

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pjf":1a5cei9t said:
What troubles me is that the Sunpod instruction pamphlet (http://www.current-usa.com/PDF/SunPodModel1061-1066.pdf) states:

"The light fixture is to be used over completely covered aquariums only."

Under this statement is an illustration of an aquarium with "Glass or acrylic top installed."

If the Sunpod requires a closed aquarium top, it may be more difficult to prevent overheating. Most reef keepers have open top aquariums to prevent overheating.
That is most likely just a disclaimer for warranty purposes. As with any light fixture, dont get it wet. :wink:

gate

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 14k 150w x 2 36" version for my 40g tank also. Works well for my tank and it's keeping my Crocea Clam on the sand bed alive. My tank is 18" deep.

it has glass shields over the HID bulbs. For safety, I have a glass cover as wide as the sunpod directly below it on my tank. This leaves the back and front area open. Also to keep water splashes to the minimum.

I dont think you can use these on tanks taller than 18" though.

willfong1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a All Glass 30"L x 18" D x 24" T tank which I am setting up for reef. Now I dont believe I have many lighting choices. One which I have found and am considering is the Current USA SunPod #1062 - 30" 250Watts. Would this be enough to support my reef tank with corals etc considering my 24" depth?
Also I assume this would heat up the water in the tank creating a need for a chiller. I spoke with CurrentUSA and he said that the Sunpod's ballasts run very cool and will not heat the water more than 2 degrees. I cant see how that would not heat the water as the intensity of light from the MH bulb is what heats up the water correct?

Thanks,
Will

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: