• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

There are hundreds of baby Piccolipora Damicornis babies popping up all over the place in my tank. I noticed one, growing on my liverock a few weeks ago. I figured it was just growing on the rock and that it was a coincidence that I have a mother colony of it in my tank. Today I noticed a ton of them growing on my starboard. Obviously it's not a hitcher there!

Wow. These things are going to take over my tank! Why couldn't it have been the purple monster or the superman monti! lol.

I guess something is right about my water parameters :D

Louey

Attachments

• Piccolipora 2.jpg
    Piccolipora 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,473
  • Piccollipora 1.jpg
    Piccollipora 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,476
  • Piccolipora 3.jpg
    Piccolipora 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 4,475
A

Anonymous

Excellent!

When are you going to grace us with a nice set of pics?

A

Anonymous

Knucklehead wrote:

Hey! It's tough shooting pics of the bottom of the tank, especially when the subject(s) are so small. In the center picture above, there are at least 18 baby picco's and that area is about 5" X 5".

Louey

A

Anonymous

That's awesome!
Are you going to leave them on the bottom to grow? I think that would look cool. :D

FragMaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWSOME!!!! YOu must be doing one HELL of a job keeping them happy!
VERY GOOD!!!!
that is very rare to have them spawn in your home aquarium.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":34s0glur said:
Knucklehead wrote:

Hey! It's tough shooting pics of the bottom of the tank, especially when the subject(s) are so small. In the center picture above, there are at least 18 baby picco's and that area is about 5" X 5".

Louey

I am truly sorry if that came out insulting

I meant to ask when you were going to grace us with a nice shot of the whole tank sort of set of pics....

:D

FragMaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not instegating just sugesting:
Try using the flash on the lowest setting, and using macro mode. Or just using your cameras lowest flash setting in full manual mode or use the auto setting for moving objects.
Take a but load of pics before you post them if you retry.
I ttakes me 100's of shot in macro mode to get 40 good ones!! LOL!!!!
I can see the ones in your pics though.
:)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! BTW, it's Pocillopora :) Hey, update your tank thread with more pics! Ya, I'm a hypocrit, but my photos are coming soon, i promise :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very nice louey. I can see them very well. You should be very proud to have corals spawn. Very nice indeed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice greenish (Tyree LE wooooooooooooo) pocillipora frag in my grow out tank, and a little piece fell off so I got the idea to try that free hanging frag growth method on the chunk that fell off, it's actually growing too! :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Louey!

Pocillopora does this pretty frequently from what I hear. I think it's asexual rather than sexual (spawning) reproduction. Regardless, still very cool. Frag city! I had it happen in my 6 gallon nano a while back...

11417_1079574690.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D wrote:

Are you going to leave them on the bottom to grow? I think that would look cool.

I am going to leave them as they are, at least for now. Wait and see how it unfolds.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan wrote:

I am truly sorry if that came out insulting

I meant to ask when you were going to grace us with a nice shot of the whole tank sort of set of pics....

I know you weren't tying to insult me. ;)

And yes, I do need to take some tank shots and update my 300G tank thread. I might get around to that shortly. Been real busy with the holidays and all.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

Nice! BTW, it's Pocillopora

Thanks for the correction. I tried to spell it from memory, and well, you see what happened. :lol:

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt Wandell wrote:

Pocillopora does this pretty frequently from what I hear. I think it's asexual rather than sexual (spawning) reproduction. Regardless, still very cool. Frag city

You are correct. Galleon told me it is called "polyp bail out". I recall reading about that a few years ago and just forgot. So I stand corrected.

It is cool. So long as it doesn't take over my tank. I don't think the trade value is that great around here.

Louey

DK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats,

Its pretty cool. You will find them growing all over the tank. I have them on powerheads, overflows and pretty much everywhere else.

enjoy

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'd be a neat closer-look inspection to find out if it's sexual or not. I find those dispersal patterns interesting for asexual development when opposed to budding/dropping in proximity. I guess good currents could distribute the buds all around...concerning polyp bailout, where's the leftover skeleton? This should be apparent somewhere in the tank, as the bailed polyps literally separate the flesh from the rock and float elsewhere--so it will be fun to look for the original anchoring site of the coral before it bailed. I was under the assumption that polyp bailout was stress reactional and not a primary mode of reproduction, but I don't have any references handy to confirm, that may just be internet-chat recycling...neat stuff Louey

b429

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon wrote:

where's the leftover skeleton?

That's a good question. The mother colony still looks the same to me. Except maybe it's a little bigger. Its a fast grower.

I was under the assumption that polyp bailout was stress reactional and not a primary mode of reproduction,

I thought the same thing. The mother colony appears to be happy as a clam.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: