• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get the water stains off of the glass. I thought these methods would be great to share!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use an ordinary household scrubbing sponge with the rough sandpapery thing on it. doesn't seem to scratch. (i remove the lids of course)
until i got sick and tired of it, now i leave them off

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explosives. C4 generally, but when that isn't available I use vinegar and elbow grease. Hammers work good too. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemme go down to the basement and see if the tops have any water stains on them. . .

Leave them off, you get better gas exchange.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a two step process.

1. Take them off the tank.

2. Throw them in the trash.

To add what Bingo said. They also cut down on the amount of light going into the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are buried under about 6 inches of saw dust in the work shop under the bench. The only glass I clean and what I was reffering to is the uv shields on my HQI's. Better gas exchange, doens't block like and doesn't retain as much heat. But if you have any type of jumping fish you might want to consider eggcrate instead of glass tops. JMHO. But I always prefer topless... 8O

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some firefish gobies and a yellow tang that thinks he is flipper!

so i guess i will look into eggcrate. I was also trying to keep evap down due to no auto top off.

Would muriatic acid help. i know it helps with calcium build up on pumps. I am tired of cleaning these things.....

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA-Lawman":2gtrwgee said:
i have some firefish gobies and a yellow tang that thinks he is flipper!

so i guess i will look into eggcrate. I was also trying to keep evap down due to no auto top off.

Would muriatic acid help. i know it helps with calcium build up on pumps. I am tired of cleaning these things.....
Can you use a canopy?

bradl.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont recommend eggcrate over tanks, especially with halides. Directly under the bulbs is fine but the farther out the light is greatly reduced as compared to no top. Some kind of canopy would be a better choice.

mike90

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i second that!

Bingo":346p3q0h said:
lemme go down to the basement and see if the tops have any water stains on them. . .

Leave them off, you get better gas exchange.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have jumping wrasses, and a light system that says you must not use over an open tank. So I have glass lids.

They seem to have become permantly etched from hard water deposits. Does that happen? I have soaked them in vinegar, scrubbed them with the cleaner for my glass top stove, scraped them with a razor blade, and I can make no dent in the white coating they seem to have developed. Whats up with that?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: