A

Anonymous

Well, as some of you know, a while back my supports on the top of the tank were melted through by my MH lights. So I replaced the center support with 2 cable supports from front to rear of the tank. Pics are in my tank thread on members tanks. Today as I was conducting a water change one of the support cables snapped. So I am in the market as it were for a new tank. Any suggestions? Here are my issues. First and foremost there is not a lot of room for a large tank, so it has to be under 150 gallons. I would like to use my existing lights on it so it needs to be 24 inches or less in depth. I am thinking my current tank may be my sump when I am done with it lol. Anyone have any recommendations? It will be a SPS dominated tank with a few fish and some LPS. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Go to an aquarium store and check out what size you like. I'm going with a 58. I just really like the size, and until I own a house I don't want to go too big.

I'd either drain half the water from your tank or put a clamp across the top until you figure it out. I had a friend end up with 110 gallons of water on his floor because of a broken center brace.

B

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally consider a 4x2x2 (120g). It's a great size that will definitely work with your lighting; I know since I had the exact same setup for years :D If you're settled into your place and don't plan on moving, a 120g will make you happy for years and years.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 120G Len suggested is an AWESOME tank.

He may have had that tank but no one knows what he is talking about now.

I have the 58G and for a 3ft tank its a good tank. No center supports like the 65G.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're asking about the 120, the answer is yes. I ran Aquamedic Aquaspacelight (250x2) for 4-5 years without a problem.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now was that on the "Real tank" or on the current "tank"? lol

Do you have any pics of the old tank so that I can have an idea what I am looking at. I honestly would like to see the 120 with teh 250 if you have a shot of it. Thanks

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hers my 120 with 2 PFO 250s'14K, 220VHOactinic and (196w 50/50 PC Just because I own it)
My crocea on the bottom is very satisfied. MY condy is now hanging out where it is a little less sunny.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same thing happend to me recently.. . thats why i had to upgrade tanks:) even with using mostly the same equipment it took me around a grand to do it right.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get an acrylic tank, you might be happier with the robustness. I just got a 100 gallon 5' long one, but the dimensions Len suggests are nicer. I had more room for length than width. The acrylic tank I have, TruVu, is well-made, and the top support is rather extensive.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize len had a web site for his tank, but he PM'd it to me. Thanks anyway. I appreciate the help. I am not sure if I have the rooom for the 120 though, I may end up having to go with the shorter version and the 90 or 75. Same dimensions, just shorter versions. Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 would be a 48x18x20
90 would be a 48x18x24
120 woud be 48x24x24

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the stand is almost complete. The back of the tank is painted midnight sky blue from HD and I am putting the plumbing together. I am currently missing one piece of loc line and a pump to run my chiller off of. Probably looking at about another week to 10 days before I am complete. Steadily making progress though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: