• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're talking about Hippo Tang, then yes I've had problems. He attacked many fish, even killed my Cleaner Wrasse and ate a leg of my starfish. I removed him from the tank.

kingnick1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this common of all hippo tangs. Cause i have friends whose hippos don't pick on the other fish. Is this something that will end up wreaking havoc with all my fish

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not typical for them to be aggressive, but in certain circumstances they can raise hell with anything in their path.

I wouldn't try keeping a firefish with any tang. They get spooked easy by big fast fish, aggressive or not.

The Chefin' man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! My blue hippo acts the same way. This one is a nasty little turd. I have a flame angel and a domino damsel (daughters fish, she is 8 years old, and maintains the tank with me so we both learn) the hippo tang always picks on them.

Talk to you all later,
J.c.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not all hippos. Some of them, like yours and mine, can just be a little weird. Get rid of him if you need to. It will make all your other inhabitants happier.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of hippos that are tame. They don't pick on any of my other fish. Actually, my yellow tang is more of a bully than my hippos.

kingnick1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's already started, will it ever stop, or will the hippo continue to pick on anyone. especially new inhabitants?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it started, I'd say it will never stop. The only way I can think of stopping it, other than by taking it out, is by adding an even more aggressive fish to calm the tang down. This, of course, is risky and doesn't always work. How big is your tank?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso is not for a 75 gallon. Hippo tangs aren't too great for 75 gallons either. That's why he's being so aggressive. He's taken over the tank. It won't get any better. You'll have to take him out if you want the tank to be peaceful.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: