• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some live rock from a friend that was breaking down their tank, I've had it for a few weeks, and just this morning noticed that I'm an unsuspecting owner of a a small, 1&1/2" yellow wrasse, it seems to only come out when the actinics are on, and stays hidden when the halide comes on, could this little bugger be problematic when he gets bigger?, it would be quite difficult to try and remove him.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it this guy?
Halichoeres_chrysusAQ3.jpg

That's what I think of when I hear "yellow wrasse". Halichoeres chrysus, they don't get very big, maybe about 4 inches, and should not be a troublemaker.

A very nice little fish. If your tank isn't covered you may find him on the floor one day. They sleep buried in the sand.

Reef safe, but will eat pods.

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the one, I have a canopy and have a strip of window screen about 3" wide across the exposed back

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a foam box, I'd say it was out of the water for no more than 20 minutes, too bad it wasnt a carpenters, I've been planning on getting one of those

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had blennies and wrasses end up in the wrong tank after moving from hiding in the rock during transport.

A lawnmower blenny of mine spent at least an hour in a rock that was just in a bucket (no water) while I moved across town. He was fine. After a while you can't keep looking for a fish, you just have to assume he made it in one of the rocks, and he did!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same thing happen. Had a lawn mower blenny that was in a rock that was out of water in 40 degree weather for a good hour or two. Put the rock ni our brand new tank ( back in 2000) and out he shot. He acted as if nothing had happened and was a happy inhabitant of the tank until we shut it down and he was given away. Indestructable fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":pvj01j11 said:
Hey, I never get free fish with my rock. Not fair!

More than once I have read posts from folks who got little mystery blennies as hitchhikers with aquacultured gulf rock!

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be doing fine, doesnt like to come out with all the lights on though, when its just the actinics he's all over the place, I've seen him picking on the rock, and he's eaten some baby brine quite readily, I've never kept one of these, I'm not fond of wrasses in the reef as I was once told long ago in my first go at reefkeeping that the cool little dragon wrasse would be a nice addition, I quickly learned otherwise, I try to stick with 6line/8line, was going to try a carpenters, but...seemed to have picked up a stray. I was reading a little on them and on the foster and smith site, its listed as expert in difficulty, are they really delicate?, and its not going to become a boulder roller is it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a lot of kooky info on this wrasse out there. I don't know why they are listed as "difficult" I think they are a very hardy fish. It should eat just about anything you feed and get along with most fish.

I have this fish in my 65 right now and I feel he is a very good fish for a reef tank, except he will eat your pods if that is a concern for you. Sometimes wrasses in this genus have been known to eat flatworms too. I had a Halichoeres ornatissimus that devoured all of my red flatworms.

This guy is a much nicer addition than a dragon wrasse, no question. He won't flip rocks. They don't get very big either. He should start adjusting to your lights and start to be out during the whole day soon. I think you will like this fish! (assuming we got the ID correct, but you said he looks just like the photo and there are no other wrasses I know of that can be confused with Halichoeres chrysus)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these fish but I have a no wrasse and no blennie policy on my tank since its uncovered.

'Hey what's that crinkly yellow thing behind the tank that looks like a leaf?'

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: