• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen the coolest bottom dwelling fish today at the lfs. They called it a skate, related to a sole I think. Loved it. But for 150 bucks I'll leave it there for others to enjoy. Anybody seen them online cheaper? I can't find them anywhere. Sorta looks like a flat shark but seems to bury alot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its like a SW skate that you catch of of the New Jersey shore they are nasty.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda doubt it unless you use really small hooks. It is only 2-4 inches long fully grown but it is saltwater. It isn't pretty but neither are sharks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>..They called it a skate, related to a sole I think.

sole is not related to skate. As you mentioned already, shark is its close relative, as well as ray. Sole/flounder actually can be pretty cool in a tank, but I did not have much success with it in the pass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related to a Ray and they'll deplete your sandbed of copepods and worms rapidly then will most likely starve to death.
I kept a pair of Narcine brasiliensis (Lesser Electric Ray) about 10 years ago and unfortunately lost them to a 5 day power outage. I had them for about 2 years which was pretty much unheard of at the time.

Regards,
David Mohr

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were hand feeding this one bits of thawed shrimp. I really thought it was a shark. Ugly color but beautiful form. Really shark like. Must not buy, must not buy, must buy...the agony of it all. Must not feed habit :cry:

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., everyone was right. They do get the size of dinner plates (so much for the lfs info) and deplete the sand bed is right, and they are sole/flounder related. Thank God for this board because I came within a hair of buying one. Thank you everyone for such good advice. My girlfriend said you guys are better than Dear Abbey. Well you know, that's her world. :roll:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: