• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aquaman3000

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish to mount the probes from my Aquacontroller in-line with compression fittings in the overflow drain pipes. I made a diagram of how I intend to do this. Does this look like it will work? I had some concern that the probes would get dry, particularly if the pumps stopped, so I made this little plan. Note the pipe from the overflow is a little higher than the pipe going to the sump, which should make a little "pocket" of water if the power went out. Can anyone see anything wrong with this? Will there be a siphon problem? I must admit I am a simpleton when it comes to fluid dynamics.

Attachments

• Diagram1.jpg
    Diagram1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 473
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are proposing will keep the probs from getting dry. The low spot will stay filled with water.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low spot should stay filled with water during power outages. I would be concerned with siphon issues as well as detritous build up in the low spot. I personally would just put them in the sump. It is far safer and there is no questions as to whether or not it will work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With high flow rate, detrit should not be an issue. I would use two 45 degree elbows instead of each 90. Better flow.

Alternative is to use a sensor well, but in that case, it is more prone to biofouling such as detrit and stuffs. At anyrate, you should remove the sensor periodically and clean it, etc.

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should be some siphoning but the low spot will have some water in it when power goes out. make sure the probes go down at least half way down into the pipe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: