• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to make a 5 gallon gravity fed doser from an instant ocean bucket with the twist top, it should work just like the kent aquadose, only a whole lot cheaper.I lose roughly a gallon a day on a 65 high no sump, I do know enough not to make the rate faster than my evap rate, but what is considered to fast/too slow?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know how much to properly drip kalkwasser is to test for pH, alk, and calcium. Drip until you get the desired values for alk (8-12dkH) and ca (target about 400ppm) while making sure your pH doesn't go too high (above 8.5 is about the value I'd try to keep under).

Note: one of the propers with kalk drippers it they get clogged over time, so dip the dripper valve in vinegar on a regular basis. Otherwise, the drip rate will slow down until it is completely clogged.

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I'm planning on cleaning the valve with every refill, though it'll probably end up every other,or every other other, I figure this will be a cheap easy solution, I'm also hoping that the bucket on the canopy will keep the damn cat off the canopy. I'm only going to fill it half way, and keep it on a corner thats solidly braced so weight shouldnt be an issue

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea to velcro it on the canopy too, just in case your cat doesn't comply. Spilled kalkwasswer in the tank, hardwood floor, or rugs = big trouble ;)

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the top of the doser is going to be sealed, but it still wouldnt be good if it got knocked off, thanks for the warning

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different approach that I found to be easier. Len's approach is, of course, perfectly workable.

I found it easier to set up the doser to match the evap rate all the time but adjust the concentration of the limewater in response to the Calcium & ALK levels. Limewater doesn't have to be saturated to work, a 1/2 or a 1/4 dose works fine if you have a lower Calcium consumption rate in your reef.

Do you have a sump?

Dripping over a 12 hour period at night can help balance the PH over the day. Limewater works better at night anyway because there's more available CO2 to form Carbonate and Bicarbonate.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy":2dgkr9i4 said:
I have a different approach that I found to be easier. Len's approach is, of course, perfectly workable.

I found it easier to set up the doser to match the evap rate all the time but adjust the concentration of the limewater in response to the Calcium & ALK levels. Limewater doesn't have to be saturated to work, a 1/2 or a 1/4 dose works fine if you have a lower Calcium consumption rate in your reef.

Do you have a sump?

Dripping over a 12 hour period at night can help balance the PH over the day. Limewater works better at night anyway because there's more available CO2 to form Carbonate and Bicarbonate.
What is the dosage when using pickling lime, Guy?

And would a reverse lit fuge interfere with dosing at night? Mine's only a small, about 8 gallon in-sump-fuge, with a curly cue bulb over it.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting dosage, I should say. I've never messed with kalk and wouldn't know where to start. :oops: I know that after I'm up and going, it'll depend on how much Ca my tank is using up, right?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would start with about 1 level tsp per gallon of topoff water and see how that maintains Calcium and Alkalinity. About 2.5 tsp per gallon will saturate. If you add vinegar you can get a bit more.

Drip it into a high flow area if you can. I've found that dripping it into the skimmer intake will reduce Phosphate as an added bonus but I don't know the chemistry behind that one. The downside of dripping into a skimmer pump is that it needs to be cleaned more often than normal.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the refugium will interfere with the drip much if at all.

If you find your PH going up above 8.5 then the tank may be running out of CO2. I can't see that ever happening if you have a good skimmer.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot!

So, basically, if the tank has abundant CO2, it might be ok to drip all of the time? (Reduced rate against over-night-dripping, of course) That would make it so I don't have to worry about turning the drip "on" and "off" in the mornings and nights.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy":1af125t1 said:

Do you have a sump?

That's the way I do things as well, in fact I think Guy ;) taught me that method :oops:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip Kalk as well as use an ATO system. With my small sump I have problems with the skimmer acting up when the water level changes too much.My tank evaps more in the day than at night so I would have to have the drip rate perfect or it will fill the sump and mess with the skimmer daily. I evap about three gallons a day so I drip around two and let the ATO do the rest. This leaves room for drip rate error.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replies, I think I have a good starting point now, suppose I need to invest in a test kit now, in all my years in the hobby, I quickly learned to avoid tests kits for the most part, I ruined a few good setups trying to achieve perfect readings, I pretty much only check temp and salinity, and let my tank tell me if everything else is okay, the best test reading is beautiful open growing corals and relaxed fish with good appetites

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could use your ATO as a doser but there are a few factors you may want to consider.
Consistency is better. By dripping you get stable calcium all day (or night) rather than short bursts that can alter your PH.
If your float switch malfunctions you may end up with a dead tank due to PH overdose.
I think you get the point so I wont go on.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":1046gsjn said:
I suppose you could use your ATO as a doser but there are a few factors you may want to consider.
Consistency is better. By dripping you get stable calcium all day (or night) rather than short bursts that can alter your PH.
If your float switch malfunctions you may end up with a dead tank due to PH overdose.
I think you get the point so I wont go on.
Makes sense. Thanks, Trido! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":roz7s4xb said:
Oh ok, so no ATO with kalk water?

How much space do you have by the sump? There is a way to auto dose safely but it takes some rigging.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: